Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

China Clay Hoods

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I had a good search first!

In the December 2011 'Model Rail' there was an artical on building a replacement 'clay hood' cover from a download by Scalescenes, these you download and print out on ordinary printer paper. My question is, is there any way of making the paper print out more rigid? I have heard elsewhere that it is possible to 'paint' paper with superglue to make it more rigid? Also would dope work, as used by aero modellers, or painting with PVA? Has anybody tried any of the above or any other method for making paper more rigid? Thought I would ask before I have a practice.

Mike Lee

• RMweb Gold

I made some clay hoods many years ago by using the paper that comes out of shoe boxes which is simsilar to that used on the balsa wood plane kits.

I then took a half used jar of Humbrol Britfix solvent and added finely chopped sprue from a plastic kit. This was then left for a few days to dissolve in the solvent. The resultant runny paste was then brushed onto the shoe paper that had been glued onto the wagon and trimmed to size.

Be careful not to get this plastic / solvent mixture onto the plastic wagon sides.

After leaving the wagon a few days to dry, it was than painted ECC blue. I sitll have these wagons and they are still in good shape.

Ian

Archived