Railway roundabout 1961 Lancashire and Yorkshire special

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

It starts in Newton Heath Shed (yes!) and goes to Middleton Junction, Chadderton & Oldham.

50850 on front and 52271 at the rear for most of the journey., including the 1 in 27 bit.

4 coaches including an artic pair.

Edit: quite a short tour really!

(I've just checked the video)

Keith

It must be the raitour that ran in September 1960 organised by the Roch Valley Railway Enthusiasts Society. I had intended watching it pass through Oldham at Sheep Washer Lane on the OA&GB line but couldnt get my backside off the sofa. Railway Roundabout footage was not always screened the year it was shot.

• RMweb Premium

On the Railway Roundabout 1961 video (edited down from the original program length I assume)

50850 (leading) and 52271 (at rear) ran together from the start until after the incline.

50850 then ran on unassisted. What happened after Oldham isn't shown.

The Railtour started in a siding and everyone had to walk along the tracks and climb in the coaches. - Can't see that happening these days!

Keith

interesting that it started from Oldham road goods, we where just talking about that yard on another topic.

I wanted to find out about the Middleton jnc to Oldham and also the chatterton line as ive been meaning to have a look on google earth for a while now. ive found it now, on the video as they climb the incline the houses in the background are still there.

Guest Belgian

On the Railway Roundabout 1961 video (edited down from the original program length I assume)

50850 (leading) and 52271 (at rear) ran together from the start until after the incline.

50850 then ran on unassisted. What happened after Oldham isn't shown.

The Railtour started in a siding and everyone had to walk along the tracks and climb in the coaches. - Can't see that happening these days!

Keith

Not so: all the RR footage was included in all the programmes. Editing thereof was confined to removing 'flashes' between cuts.

JE

• RMweb Premium

What's shown on the 1961 DVD is about 5 minutes starting (supposedly) at Newton Heath shed and ending near Oldham.

Was that the length of each program when broadcast?

BTW Ian Allan in Birmingham is selling the Videos at £1 each or £7 for the set of 8 (which is what I paid in "The Works" a few years ago)

A bit different from this overpriced offering:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Roundabout-1958-DVD/dp/B000FDFXDQ

Keith

Guest Belgian

What's shown on the 1961 DVD is about 5 minutes starting (supposedly) at Newton Heath shed and ending near Oldham.

Was that the length of each program when broadcast?

BTW Ian Allan in Birmingham is selling the Videos at £1 each or £7 for the set of 8 (which is what I paid in "The Works" a few years ago)

A bit different from this overpriced offering:

http://www.amazon.co...D/dp/B000FDFXDQ

Keith

The programmes when broadcast were live. Pat Whitehouse and John Adams commented in the studio upon their films which had been pre-edited prior to being taken to the studio. All varied in length, depending on how much footage had been obtained. There were certain scenes which were cut out and retained by Pat, some of which we put back into the programmes.

All the commentaries were written by me from Pat's notes, and then approved by him, shortly before he died. Some of the material in the programmes was never broadcast.

JE

The arctic pair look like D1965, possibly M 52524/5

Keith

pausing and rewinding the video on the part where the train is on the Chatterton branch, the artic looks like the number begins M55...

also, there is a quick shot where the train is passing Bury Knowsley street station, passing under the bridge to Bolton street that the ELR uses nowadays. took me a whle to realise where that shot was, maybe because the narrator Peter Woods is talking about Oldham during that shot, im not well up on the Oldham area.

• RMweb Premium

pausing and rewinding the video on the part where the train is on the Chatterton branch, the artic looks like the number begins M55...

Looking at the window/door pattern suggests a D1965 (BTO/TO) which would make it 52500-52543

The 55000 series were D1967 which were TO/CO (no brake section)

I have just played it on my DVD player where I can advance frame by frame and the leading coach of the artic pair seems to be either M52531M or M52534M (I can get a pretty clear rendition of the first 4 numbers, the fifth is slightly blurred)

EDIT: As it is the BTO it must be odd numbered!

The vehicle at the other end appears to be either M9954M or M9984M making it a D1946 BTO

(All info from Jenkinson/Essery LMS coaches volumes)

The middle coach is never clear enough to read the number.

Keith

The programmes when broadcast were live. Pat Whitehouse and John Adams commented in the studio upon their films which had been pre-edited prior to being taken to the studio. All varied in length, depending on how much footage had been obtained. There were certain scenes which were cut out and retained by Pat, some of which we put back into the programmes.

All the commentaries were written by me from Pat's notes, and then approved by him, shortly before he died. Some of the material in the programmes was never broadcast.

JE

Thanks for that - great to know that you are a member of this board!

Archived