Kadee draft gear boxes

Willy

In a recent workshop "purge" I seem to have mislaid, or even thrown out, a box containing coupler boxes and screws for various locos and freight cars that I was working on! I can replace the coupler boxes with Kadee #232 Plastic draft gear boxes but I haven't got any suitable replacement screws so can someone please tell me the size of these screws so as I can get some on order. I am talking about a couple of Atlas locos and freight cars of various makes so I don’t know if there is a standard screw that will cover all of these.

Thank you

Willy

The Atlas engines will use some sort of metric screw, not sure what...I'm guess a 2mm diameter x 1.4 pitch. On the other cars, if they're Chinese made they're probably metric as well. If I'm going from scratch on the #232 box, I'll typically use a 2-56 screw and tap the hole in the car floor or perhaps the 3-48 self tapping screws that Kadee sells.

I am in France Dave and I have found that the p&p is pretty much the same wherever I go. The other thing is, I need some other bits and pieces from Model Junction so the postage doesn't work out too bad.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

The 2-56 is the standard screw for fastening most all couplers (boxed or not) in the US, which is why Kadee uses that size as a standard. If you are attaching into a non-predrilled surface, you could use the nearest smaller metric equivalent, given that you had the proper tap. The 2-56 size should be available through most US Internet stores and sites.

Best Wishes--Carl

Archived