ZTC?

BrushType4

The statement in the your first paragraph is not correct...... Have you owned or used a ZTC controller?

Used one for half an hour, that was quite enough! It's a nice concept as a control interface, but clunky as a result. My own operational need is to be able to skip 'instantly' from one of many running locos to another with no delay 'finding where it is at'. As such the ZTC was quickly eliminated as a non-contender, and I formed the opinion that 'one engine in steam' would be its forte. Tried a little programming, it came nowhere for ease of use beside any of the other full systems I tried at the time, all of which cost less. So no good for me, and I suspect many others.

As posted earlier, I can fully appreciate that some will find it very appealing, and for different styles of operation it may suit very well.

my 505 would never read any CV, not even on the ZTC decoders that I was using at the time.

I've never had a problem with my 511 reading or writing CVs from/to any make of decoder except reading CV5 on one particular Digitrax decoder as I mentioned earlier, which I've put down to it being a slightly faulty decoder which I can't be bothered to swop because everything else with it is ok, and I can tell from it's performance that I've written to CV5 ok, and I've got decoders from ZTC, Lenz, Digitrax, TCS, Hornby and Bachmann.

Well now, I find all these reply's most interesting. If we go back a bit the early ZTC decoders were in fact rubbish,Things got better when the software was upgraded.The new generation of decoders are as good as any. However I have been using The 511 for 9 years now, in fact its paired with another as a slave. In those years its only been back once, and that was for a dry joint to be fixed. I have had no problem with reading or writing CVs. Its claimed that a 511 will run 16 locos,yes it will, But not on your own your not. A comment was raised concerning switching loco command from the roster, not had this problem myself, all I do is call up a new loco manually. As for a new loco not matching the throttle setting, all i can say is, any loco that i have running at the time maintain the speed that I set it to. The new loco can be called up either from the roster or manually then its running speed is adjusted accordingly. To control a running loco, select it, zero reverser & throttle and away you go again. So I do not agree that its only good to run one loco.

The voltage range of a 511 is 12 to 24 vac, I think that will cope up to G gauge, certainly up to O gauge.

I am not claiming the 511 is the best on the market but it suits me, one reason I cant grip with either hand so it had to be a desktop. Another problem Thats put ZTC back is that when it was first sold, it went to a dealer who admitted that he had no knowledge of DCC, it soon failed again and lay dormant until Neil Kinnison took it over. (Some may say a brave move) he is well aware an upgrade is well overdue I know he is working on that, seem to have read somewhere one is already available.

I have no connection with ZTC only as a satisfied customer. I would suggest to anyone who looks to buy second hand, make sure its at least to V4 software.

I used to have a ZTC 505 and for me it was one of the best controllers ive used.

I sold it because as I use sound locos the lack of functions was a big inconveinience.

I have tried quite a few different controllers and for the feel and controllability it is superb. If they upgrade the system I would consider buying another.

I used the controller when I was modelling in oo and then in O with no problems.

The person I sold it onto is still very happy with it.

double heading was a breeze and a lot easier than my Prodigy advance and running multiple trains was very easy and I would disagree that the controller is only suitable for single loco operation.

I wish ZTC would upgrade the functions available on there 505 511 as soon as possibe because this was supposed to have been done year ago.

That would be my biggest issue, If the upgrade would have been made available then I would not have sold mine on.

One member asked the manufacturing base for ZTC products. Its All " IN THE UK."

The only upgrade available at the moment is ZTC 515 Extended Route memory chip.

Following on from yesterdays post relating to running and switching locos from the roster. I can confirm that the speed of any loco does NOT change by switching to another or back again.

Its set speed will only change when you, the driver tell it to.

My ZTC505 will read (and write) data from/to CVs on Hornby, Bachmann and TCS decoders and will control more than one loc OK - if yours didn't and I had paid £200+ I can't understand why you didn't get it fixed by the manufacturer?

Ian

I was warned before I bought it that they did not have a good reputation, but I went ahead nonetheless as I liked the driving desk. Not reading back CVs seemed to me to be one of the problems that folks warned me about. I don't expect it to be faulty when I had just bought it straight from the manufacturer himself, one D Nicholson.

Not reading back CVs was something I could live with at the time. But that, the 8 functions only with no sign of a firmware upgrade for more, the problem with the lights always defaulting to the forward position, the multiple button pushes, the less than exciting manual, the fact that questions always seemed to go unanswered by anyone on the ZTC users forum, trying to guess the right position for the throttle to match the new loco's speed when swapping locos, and finally blowing a decoder on me prompted me to look round for something better. it got me into DCC, but at a price, and it did help me decide what I wanted from a new controller.

My ECoS has moved on with the free Firmware updates that ESU release periodically, whilst the 505 is still in exactly the same position as it was when I bought it at our show with the same functionality, or lack of it, and the same bugs.

The only thing that the 505 and the ECoS had in common was that they use the same wiring connectors for the track. It was literally swap out the 505, and move in the ECoS. By the way the ECoS never has any problem reading back CVs using exactly the same wiring to the same programming track as I used with the 505. Considering that the ECoS 1 cost less at the time than a 511 it was a bargain.

If anyone is interested, I still have the ZTC PC interface for it. totally unused. Send me a PM, otherwise it's going on Club Sales at our show, again, or ebay.

Archived