PECO OO 3 way point problem

21C123

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have recently bought two PECO OO 3 way points, electrofrog ones.

Now that I have fitted them to my fiddle yard I am having some problems.

When the point is set to the left hand road my Hornby M7's and also Grafar coaches derail.

The bogie wheels appear to hit the end of the blade and go up and off the rail.

I emailed PECO who have declined to reply.

Annoyingly I also have 2 older isulfrog points, probably 20 years old, which aren't a problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this ?

Thanks

Roger

Do I read this right? Your loco and coaches traverse everywhere else on the layout bar the 'left hand' blade of a couple of 3 - way points? In the first instance I would look closely at the blade. I had this happen to me many years ago with an 'N' gauge Peco point and a loco. In that case the blade stood slightly proud of the stock rail. It didn't affect any other of my locos but this one had very little chamfer on the flange. Hence it rode up the blade and derailed. So, a look at the blade revealed a 'mismatch' between the loco and the track at that one particular spot. In '00' you might notice this more readily and maybe be able to tweak the blade or file it slightly to be more accomodating. As the points are in the fiddle yard my assumption is that you really do need three way points there? In which case, royaloak's suggestion may be appropriate. Problem for me would be daring to make any wheel gauge adjustment at all, but for some people it's no worry at all. My own initial solution would be, if the only derailment is at the blade of one or two points, I would consider replacing the points - expensive, I know, unless as they're a new purchase you can take them (or send them) back.

Looking at my own Peco '00' pointwork, they have tightened up clearances at the frog (crossing vee) in more recent years. This could easily affect the old Grafar coaches, but the M7 over new pointwork shouldn't pose a problem, though there is the occcasional wheel / gauge issue. I'll stop here or I'll start clutching at straws. I do hope you get this sorted out. I can't answer for Peco, only assume that they get many emails every day and it all takes time to work through.

Steve.

Roger,

Your post and the above suggestions seem to ring bells. I have a feeling that I experienced similar problems with recent 3 way electrofrog points. On close inspection the offending blade did not fit snugly against the stock rail. A few wipes with a file as suggested by Steve above solved the problem. In my case the problem was compounded because I suspect that my AC supply does not have enough power to move two Peco Point Motors with on / off switches attached. To move the point from say Road 3 back to Road 1, I have to move it in stages, first back to Road 2 and then to Road 3. Only this way can I guarentee that all the blades will be pulled up tight against the respective stock rails.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards Ray

Archived