Bachmann 38-240 Megabox MBA

Guest Belgian

Guest Belgian

I see from the Hattons recent releases that the Bachmann Megabox wagon 38-240 is fitted with the Bachmann version of a Kadee coupling which they call 'e-z coupling' (they don't seem to be listing it separately in the current web-site).

Is this the start of a new trend and will Bachmann be going over to these couplings from now on?

JE

This is an HO product in origin, so it's the Bachmann USA site you need to look at, as Bachmann Europe don't list them. http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=87

No clue which exactly of the fifteen flavours available are fitted to their OO wagons, a medium undershank would be my guess, but a call to Barwell customer support would probably be a good idea. I have seen some of these on retail sale in the UK but availablity is pretty hit and miss.

Incidentally, from the appearance perspective in the HTA coal hoppers, these must be the best OO RTR for coupler appearance out of the box. Cut the NEM coupler pocket mount off the bogies to make them look yet better. Putting matching knuckle couplers into the class 66 bufferbeams not only looks well, but enables the full fit of pipes and airdam to be fitted to the ends. It is a little surprising that Bachmann didn't provide this on the 66 as a screw attached alternative coupler to match the wagons, as it is a simple five minute DIY job as the model stands...

• 3 weeks later...

Hattons have a special offer on MBAs (without buffers) for £14, the more you buy the more you save.

Bachmann also have their E-Z couplers on the excellent BRA and BYA steel hooded wagons and yes I am surprised that Bachmann didn't fit the couplings to their EWS 66s.

Hi Rich

Thanks.

The loads: I used metal swarf.

Thin plastic card layer to base then drop on the swarf spray with glue - sprinkle on more material and spray again. Then I sprayed with a couple of rust shades when dry.

When fully dry I did have to clip the loads to fit (even though I thought I'd measured up Ok). I did this using my Track cutter !

The loads are perhaps no more than 1cm deep but can be put in different heights in the wagons to achieve a bit of non uniformity.

They are thick enough to give that 3D appearance and you can't see the base etc.

I've done a couple of "empty" wagons with sprinkles of swarf in them.

Problem is....I've now run out of the swarf...

Wagon under frames done with frame dirt. Internals sprayed with dark / light rust etc then scratched with emery. Later on I applied more rust tones / white spirit / cotton bud job. Wheels sprayed with dark rust (carefully masking the running surfaces)

Regards

Nick

Archived