SJA scrap wagon queries

Jim Martin

Please can someone help me out with a couple of queries regarding the three SJA scrap wagons built on HBA hopper underframes in the late 1980s? I'm looking for confirmation of two points:

1. Were the sides identical, i.e. was the access door at the left end of each side, or were they at the same end of the wagon, so that on one side it would appear to be on the right?
  2. Was there an access ladder at both ends, or only at one end?

All of the (not very many) photos I've seen show the door at the left end and have a ladder on the visible end; but I have a feeling, based on the appearance of the brake gear, that all of them are taken looking at the same side of the wagon.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

The sides were identical. The small inspection door was at the base of the second panel in from the left on each side of the wagon.

The SJA had ladders at each end, positioned on the left as you looked at the end of the wagon. They also had a small angled deflector plate over the air brake pipe.

They were numbered 360040, 360761, 361486 and all were initially in the Railfreight 'flame red' livery.

Otherwise they were identical to the MEA so this would be a good starting point.

Thank you all very much for the replies. I did suspect that this would be the case, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before I started sticking bits onto a Farish MEA (I would have written "hacking", but there isn't really anything to be removed).

Cheers

Jim

Archived