Hornby Class 121 DMU, who's sound is the better ?

muddys-blues

Hi, I have a Hornby Class 121 DMBS that I wish to sound up, I am torn between SWD or Howes to have a chip reblown, does anybody out there have a unit already done ? If so what do they think of it, and who's sound do you have in it.

Also what is the driving experience of your model ? is it great to drive with the sound and does it run in sync with the sound files ?

Just for the record I use the Guagemaster Prodigy system.

Yours in anticipation

Craig.

Howes or Legomanbiffo? But I would suggest that you let them know it is for a single car?I guess the sound for driver + trailer 2 car DMU is same as the bubble (ish) but never been sure if our power twin 101 actually is a power twin when I listen to the start up!

• RMweb Gold

this video is about 2 years old bu it shows the howes 121

bryan does have a set of auxilliary sounds for the chiltern 121, different guards buzzer, door unlocked beeps, PA sounds etc, i keep meaning to ask him to put them onto my chiltern 121 chip

I bet the neighbours love that when they are having a quiet afternoon in the garden.

The most realistic one I have seen so far, though.

Just wait 'til he puts detonators on the line!

The gear change is automatic though to get the most out of it you do need a good run.

Thanks - that does answer one or two of my concerns.

Also depends on the chassis. Bryan has set the chips up for the 108/105 Bachmann chassis but you will need to tell him if you go Howes route (or tell Biffo if you go with him) that it is for a Hornby 121. The new Hornby chassis whilst better than it was is still a bit 'light in the loafers' and quick off the mark. Certainly the Howes chip does lots of gear changing on Airthrey Park in a newer Hornby 101 chassis once it was set up correctly! Also works very nicely in the Replica DMU/EMU rolling twin motor chassis. We will be running a converted Lima 117 as Greater Glasgow 116 on Devilla Colliery at MODELRAIL Glasgow over the weekend which sits on the new Replica chassis, makes a huge difference to running quality.

In response to the earlier poster, my chip also features gear changes (with clearly audible EP valve hisses). These occur at pre-set speeds. The chip will also coast on demand by appropriate use of the throttle. It will only return from coast to drive when you choose (by increasing the throttle again).

Different chassis' do present programmers with headaches as the settings that work for one can be very rough in others.

Bif

In response to the earlier poster, my chip also features gear changes (with clearly audible EP valve hisses). These occur at pre-set speeds. The chip will also coast on demand by appropriate use of the throttle. It will only return from coast to drive when you choose (by increasing the throttle again).

Different chassis' do present programmers with headaches as the settings that work for one can be very rough in others.

Bif

Pardon my ignorance, but what name do your chips go by?

• RMweb Gold

I have just bought some Digitrax decoders (motor and sound chips) and have loaded them with 1st generation DMU sounds I downloaded from the Digitrax Yahoo Groups forum.

The sounds are very good and bring back happy memories of 1sty generation units on the Bletchley > Bedford branch and in the West Midlands.

This may be a route worth considering if you have a number of DMU's to help keep the cost down a bit.

I have a Howes 108 chip, it does sound very good, especially with a bass reflex speaker attached, but I find it does have a few limitations though, but mine is a v3.5 chip, so it might be a bit better on a v4 chip.

When moving off, the engine sounds will run up to first gear before coasting, even if you only want the train to run at a low speed, like in a depot for example. 1st gear on a dmu is used for 0 to 15mph, so you'll always get full revs to 15mph sound, even if you want the train to do only 5mph, which is fine on a larger layout, not so good for a smaller depot type layout. Only other thing is that the time spent in 3rd gear is too short, (3rd is 27 to 47mph), but this is probably more to do with the limitations of the chip than anything else.

Other than that, its a great sounding chip, and great for some main line dmu thrash.

Only heard the SWD chip on youtube, sounds ok, I like the start up, but other than that i'm not too convinced about the rest of the sounds, and the gear changes in particular.

Leggomanbiffo's sounds are great, I recently had my class 47 chip re-blown by him, it is definatley the best sounding 47 chip out there, and I think i'd say the same about the rest of his sounds too.

I have just bought some Digitrax decoders (motor and sound chips) and have loaded them with 1st generation DMU sounds I downloaded from the Digitrax Yahoo Groups forum.

I do recall that the main limitation of this sound project was that it did not include any gear changes. Have they now rectified that?

When moving off, the engine sounds will run up to first gear before coasting, even if you only want the train to run at a low speed, like in a depot for example. 1st gear on a dmu is used for 0 to 15mph, so you'll always get full revs to 15mph sound, even if you want the train to do only 5mph, which is fine on a larger layout, not so good for a smaller depot type layout. Only other thing is that the time spent in 3rd gear is too short, (3rd is 27 to 47mph), but this is probably more to do with the limitations of the chip than anything else.

Indeed this is the main bugbear of sound chips in general and Diesel mechanical units in particular. Having said that though and in respect of the V3.5 chip, it is relatively simple to make the chip rev up but not change gear until a certain throttle open CV figure. It does nonetheless require a very light hand on the throttle. Try just inching the throttle open and see what happens, then try inching it shut to see if it will coast on tickover. This is a test of the threshold CV's which are not readily adjustable by any other means than tweaking the actual project, which I assume you do not have.

I would think that your supplier is more likely to engineer a main line project than a depot runner and it is not possible to have both on the V3.5 chip although I believe the V4 can do this.

I have yet to try all this on a V4 chip myself but i managed a very passable Class 3 shunter on V3.5

• RMweb Gold

snapback.png08221, on 23 February 2012 - 14:05 , said:

I do recall that the main limitation of this sound project was that it did not include any gear changes. Have they now rectified that?

Yes, there a a sound set available now that has gear changes included as your DMU accelerates or brakes.

snapback.png08221, on 23 February 2012 - 14:05 , said:

Yes, there a a sound set available now that has gear changes included as your DMU accelerates or brakes.

In that case it is possible with the Digitrax SoundLoader dongle and software plus a little freeware programme called SPJ Helper and a great deal of patience (and a pointy hat and a magic wand) to change when the DMU changes gear and coasts.

it is not possible to have both on the V3.5 chip although I believe the V4 can do this.

David,

Just to clarify, it is perfectly possible to create a v3.5 sound project that is suitable for all types of layout including depot-based ones and big 'roundy-roundy's'. It's all in the programming.

Bif

David,

Just to clarify, it is perfectly possible to create a v3.5 sound project that is suitable for all types of layout including depot-based ones and big 'roundy-roundy's'. It's all in the programming.

Bif

Agreed Bif but I used the word both in my post. There have been lots of posts on here about the differences between a plank layout and the larger layout with more realistic trains. There have been replies from quite a few sound suppliers as well about it. I think that the suppliers are quite keen to tailor the project to the largest market and, in the case of diesels, that is the mega thrash.

It also needs to be said that really good programming can be lost to the twist and go syndrome.

I suppose that my quotation in red in my signature below applies here. I assume you issue instruction sheets with all your sound decoders?

Archived