Midford Signal box query

Hi

Looking from the front the left hand side window at lower rear appears to be blocked out.

post-7345-0-10097700-1329925252.jpeg

Searching through my books on the S&D it appears to have been like that since at least the fifties through to the end.

Does anyone know why?

I would have thought if it was as the result of a breakage it would have been repaired......or maybe not!

I need to blank mine out by the looks of it for the early 60s.

Thanks

Roger

• RMweb Gold

Not sure, depends if it's blanked by the pane of glass actually being replaced by some boarding, or whether there's something inside behind the pane of glass, if you see what I mean. If the latter, it may be something to do with signalman's privacy, if his armchair was in that corner. Thinking about the orientation of Midford signalbox, that window would have been facing south, more or less, so perhaps they had the blanking piece there to block sunlight out, in case they wished to read the paper or have a doze between trains?.... ;)

I asked Mike Arlett, as probably the most likely remaining source of info. His reply:-

"That pane had been covered for as long as I can remember, in fact both the lower and middle panes were covered in earlier days. The signal box calendar was hung on the inside face. I suspect that, originally, a piece of card or similar had been attached to the inside of the panes but, when the box was repainted by WR, either the bottom pane was painted over or was infilled with a piece of painted ply or similar.

The telephones (on the rear wall), the back of the signalman's chair, and the train register desk were all located towards that south-west corner of the box and, as far as I am aware, the pane(s) was/were covered merely to keep out the glare of direct sunlight from that area. Simple as that!"

Chris

• 1 month later...

Archived