Mail Order Packaging

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

It's been a good few years now since I was buying many models. With only a few purchases annually for many years now, I have tended to pick things up at exhibitions and shops when passing. But now, my circumstances have changed a bit and I have quite a shopping list! Living out in the sticks, mail order really is the best option.

What I would like to ask you all is whether things have improved at all in recent years in the matter of packaging? Back when I was buying a lot, one well-known firm (I will spare their blushes in deference to Forum rules) would send everything out in secondhand cartons that had been used to deliver crisps and biscuits to their local supermarket. That sort of carton is simply not designed to carry much weight, be re-used, or suffer the sort of handling that parcels get at Royal Mail and other overnight carriers. So a lot of models would arrive damaged.

I don't mind paying a bit more to buy from a firm that uses proper packaging. Who would you recommend?

• RMweb Gold

TBH it's quite difficult to find bad ones these days if you're using a well established seller. I've used Kernow, Rails of Sheffield, Hattons, Antics online, 2k technologies and some other established shops in the last couple of years. Touch wood I've not had a bad one. As long as it's not a newbie or someone on ebay with no track record I've more or less taken it as a given these days that it will be ok. Maybe I've just been lucky or careful?

I agree with Metr0Land!

I've used Kernow, Rails, Hattons, Bromsgrove, Trains-on-time, Modelfair, SignalBox and a couple of 'smaller suppliers' and their packing and outer packaging have been very secure. Where possible, I opt for Royal Mail standard delivery - the local delivery office team are very efficient and come around the same time each day, which is a bonus for me.

If you want to try for yourself, why not place a smallish order with one of the firms that regularly get mentioned positively on here (e.g. a couple of wagons or coaches) and see for yourself? As Mer0Land says, stick with the 'usual suspects' and all should be well.

There's a chap in Essex (not Keytes!!!!!) who is probably best avoided, though!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

And I agree with Orcadian! I didn't mention that I also normally opt for Royal Mail if there's a choice. Although they get a lot of stick in the meeja I have to say that to/from High Wycombe we seem to be well served with connections via RM's 'hub and spoke' network. I guess we've been lucky in my area that we seem to have posties that have the same route for some time and know the foibles of the various houses, who's in/out, who will sign for whom etc. Problems usually only arise when it's his day/week off.

• RMweb Gold

Like you guys, we have pretty good service from Royal Mail round here. So that would be my choice.

Interestingly, the former "problem retailer" is mentioned in your posts so they seem to have upped their game and I will certainly place an order with them to see how it goes.

Provided its well padded and the packaging holdstogether (the wonders of parcel tape) the fact that its a crisp box should not be a problem. Indeed the extent of packaging of most models is such that it needs little extra to ensure its safe package - a Hornby M7 was posted to me simply by taping up the box/outer sleeve and sticking the address label and stamps to it :O - the loco was fine. One of the hazards of using ebay.

• RMweb Gold

As the OP says he's been a way from mail order for a while, one thing that may have changed in the interim is RM tightening up on what they accept over the counter

Certainly when I take things to the local sub Post office (I like to keep the small PO in operation if I can help) these days they are much more assertive about the quality of packing they'll accept. Although they pick up sacks from the box shifters without examining each item, I'm guessing that if too many claims come in relating to the same consignor they'll be spoken to?

• 2 months later...

Through personal experience, having had to return many items damaged in transit, the best packaging in my opinion is Rails of Sheffield. They use shreaded paper to pack the boxes with the item surrounded on all sides. This seems to protect most things from the bumps and bangs they can receive in the delivery chain. Hattons, however, insist on placing items in the bottom of a cardboard box and filling the top with large plastic arifilled cushions. In my experience this has been the source of many of my returns as the items are not protected against shock unless the packeage lands upside down.

Retailers' packaging aside, the manaufacturers can do the most to protect their products. Bachmann's rigid plastic trays are excellent, they provide solid support in places that can take the impact thus protecting small detailed parts from damage. Hornby have started to include this packaging on their coaching stock but their train packs and locos are still subject to damage due to the polystyrene trays. The worst I have come across so far is the foam from Vitrains and Heljan which traps small detailed parts while letting the loco move around. As such the small detail gets ripped from the loco (buffers, brake rods, sand pipes, etc.).

There is of course the other extreme. I once received a package which had been wrapped in a Tesco bag, sealed with a bit of sellotape, and just the address label and a stamp on top. That, I think, is what's known as "minimal packaging".

I think the majority of the big retailers give consideration to their packing and this is because it makes commercial sense, they wish to minimise the returns they will receive for damaged goods. Ebay sellers on the other hand can be a bit of pot luck though I have to add to that the comment that the vast majority are from knowledgeable modellers who honestly want you to receive the item as the condition sold and in good order. But thee is always going to be the odd one or two who, possibly through ignorance, just do not think about the bashing a parcel gets in the post.

Having said that, I would always prefer a courier delivery than post. I have just experienced far too many "signed for" item going missing or allegedly delivered when clearly no attempt was made. But you cannot blame the postal system for damaged goods that have been poorly packed. Isn't the word "Fragile" an indication that the parcel it adorns may be kicked like a football?

Archived