LNER J94 details needed

micklner

Hi

I have just bought a Hornby 94 with the high bunker.

Can anyone give a opinion on the Hornby J94 as to the details being correct? .

RT Models offer a number of parts for this loco are the better/correct size as Hornbys offering appear to be rather small sizes in particular the Dome and Water filler.

The LNER Forum states that two J94's had the high bunker fitted by the LNER , many others were converted by BR. Does anyone know the correct numbers for the two LNER conversions please. Photos, which appear to be rare, would be appreciatted too.

thanks

Hi

I have just bought a Hornby J94 with the high bunker.

Can anyone give a opinion on the Hornby J94 as to the details being correct? .

RT Models offer a number of parts for this loco are the better/correct size as Hornbys offering appear to be rather small sizes in particular the Dome and Water filler.

The LNER Forum states that two J94's had the high bunker fitted by the LNER, many others were converted by BR. Does anyone know the correct numbers for the two LNER conversions please. Photos, which appear to be rare, would be appreciated too.

thanks

I can't help with the specific details regarding the LNER modifications offhand I'm afraid so hopefully someone else will get there first. The fundamental shapes are really very good on this model (the cab, too small front spectacles and slightly clumsy handrails aside, is really nice) while the smaller details are something of a mixed bag typical of the period when the model was first tooled by Dapol. The tank-top furniture is probably a matter of personal taste as to whether you think it's worth the effort and almost all the details are roughly the right size and in the right place. The footplate steps are fine and the vertical edges can be thinned down to look a bit more like sheet metal easily. However, the footsteps on the tank are a bit heavy and in the case of those on the tank side, too high up the tank, but since they are integral mouldings, that's not unreasonable and relatively easily remedied should you so wish.

You can 'go to town' if you want - sorting out the injectors below the footplate really helps - and new handrails on the tank make a significant difference since the originals have been moved about a bit to suit the overscale handrail knobs. To do this, however, really requires a repaint though if you were to change the chimney/dome/filler, you would have to do that anyway.

The only thing that's ever really bothered me about the model are the boxes under the boiler to accommodate the motor but you can't do much about these without replacing the chassis and then it's a whole different league of project, and yes, I have done this!

HTH

Adam

Many thanks for the replies.

I have managed to track a photo of 8006 down, via the LNER forum which shows a rear view. I have also had some helpful comments via the same source re add on parts.

I still need to find a photo(s) of the front of the J94 in LNER days.

I have been surprised how good the running is on the Hornby J94 a bit noisy but it runs at a nice crawl without being run in , hopefully it will become a bit quieter once run in.

Archived