The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Goon Show

QRModeller

Henry Crun - " Have you put the tiger out, Min?"

Minnie Crun " I didn't know it was on fire, Henry"

Minnie Bannister, please. The nature of the union, if any, between "Henreee" and "Min, Min of mine" is left to the febrile imagination of the average Goon Show addict, where, no doubt, it's best to leave it...

Re Min & Henry's relationship:

Henry Crun:

Come, dear little Minnie, I'll take you home with me Minnie, I'll give you a hot bath, rub you down with the anti-vapour rub, put a plaster on your back, give your little feet a mustard bath, and then put you to bed.

Seagoon:

Do you know this woman?

One that fascinated me was "The Trans-Africa Air Canal". To be dug as a navigation aid and for somewhere for 'planes to ditch! Bloodnok in charge of the construction, as I recall. Haven't found that one on Tape/Record/Disc.

I haven't heard that one either (apart from the bit about Bloodnok leaving the key under the mat), but a script is here:

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e22_the_africa_ship_canal

• RMweb Premium

From the Bandit of Sherwood Forest

King john - "Don't mention that man's name"

Sheriff of Nottingham "Which part of him shall we mention

King john "I don't know, there's so much of him

Sheriff of Nottingham "Well you asked Seagoon to play the part!"

Seagoon "What? What? What?"

In the same way "Which one's your favorite?" well, there's some many to choose from! These are a few of my favourites - in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Dishonoured

The Vanishing room (if only for Peter Sellars description of the village of Brodley on Cleat - if I ever do a west country layout it will be called Brodley on Cleat and will have a stone erected to the poet Sprandge, complete with the poet beneath it!)

The Fear of Wages (complete with the entire Japanese Imperial Army in that tree)

Tales of Old Dartmoor

The MacCreekie Rising of '74 ( "We march north tay England!!" "But England's soooth of here?" "Aye, we're going tay march reet aroond the worrrld and come up behind them"!

The Greenslade Story (Winds light to variable)

The Great Tuscan Salami Scandal

Ralph

Lambton58

I haven't heard that one either (apart from the bit about Bloodnok leaving the key under the mat), but a script is here:

http://www.thegoonsh...rica_ship_canal

Correct title is "The Great Trans Africa Canal", but also rendered as "The Africa Ship Canal" and "Trans Africa Aeroplane Canal".

From my namesake: "We have broughted from England this modern Kelsop super canal digging machine. This machine can do the work of two men, but you'll have to help us, 'cos it takes three men to work it."

A transcript of the show and a link to a website selling this and other Goon Shows on CD:

http://www.thegoonsh...rica_ship_canal

Snap!

Sapristi Bombet. has that Man the Lurgi?

A favourite line... "have a gorilla, no thank you I don't smoke"

F

Or the variation on that:

"Have a gorilla."

"Oooh, taaa."

A series of growls and bumps and wrestling noises follows.

"Hey. Dese gorillas are strong! Try one of my monkeys ... they're milder."

(That was from memory so apologies if I mangled it slightly).

Minnie Bannister, please. The nature of the union, if any, between "Henreee" and "Min, Min of mine" is left to the febrile imagination of the average Goon Show addict, where, no doubt, it's best to leave it...

Sincere apologies for my elderly memory falling over - I really must get it a new prop - This bit of scaffolding will do nicely - <Loud splash> "Heeez fallen in the war-ter!" ,<Bluebottle> " You dirty rotten swine! You deaded me again!"

"ill met by Goonlight" (I think)............

FX "sound of head being hit by large heavy object"

Eccles: Owwww!, Owww! You'll, you'll, you'll pay for dat !!!

FX: "Kerching"

Eccles: Ta - want anudder go ?

Just bl**dy hilarious - so many funny funny scenes - sheer genius. Had many of the script on audio tape - need to see if they're availble in a more modern format.

I recorded a whole lot on cassette tapes from ABC Radio National (here in Australia) when they were on every Saturday at noon. The Goon Show was always followed by the Science Show which was also compulsory listening for me.

Unfortunately, while I still have most of these, the majority have oxidised and are almost unplayable now.

For a look at the genius behind the Goons (Mr Milligana - the well known typing error) BBC4Xtra have a 3 hour programme dedicated to him, see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01chydc

Whilst the Goons would not have succeeded without Sellers and Secombe (and at the beginning Michael Bentine), Spike really made it a ground breaking, innovative and influential programme

F

• RMweb Premium

From the Bandit of Sherwood Forest

King john - "Don't mention that man's name"

Sheriff of Nottingham "Which part of him shall we mention

King john "I don't know, there's so much of him

Sheriff of Nottingham "Well you asked Seagoon to play the part!"

Seagoon "What? What? What?"

That's no more curried eggs for you - 'twas actually in "Robin Hood (and his mirry mon)".

And nobody seems to have mentioned The Case of the Missing CD Plates yet. Why, do you not like pigeon pie?

China Story or The case of the vanishing room

"In the county of 'Sissex, lies the hamlet of Brodley on Cleat, known locally as Brodley on Cleat: from the village of the same name.

Population in 1899: four thousand, eight hundred and sixty-two.

Population in 1954: eighty-seven.

Principal exports: population"

Remember the intro to Tales from Montmartre (one of very, very few episodes to ever have a female guest star)?

Peter Sellers as Grytpipe Thynne, acting as Paul Gaugin; "The year was 1899. It was a very bad year for me ... I died!"

Archived