Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Breakers for NCE PowerCab?

Nettlebridge

I have an NCE PowerCab starter system and was planning to divide my layout into 3-4 power districts with separate breakers. However, I see the NCE EB1 breaker is not recommended for use with the PowerCab. Can anyone suggest the best way to set up power districts with the PowerCab?

Thanks,

Noel

I think the PowerShield range is the only readily available breaker which can be set at a sufficiently low current to work with a PowerCab.

Most designs trip at a higher current than the PowerCab can actually deliver, so the breaker won't ever engage and the command station takes the over-load.

In addition to what Nigel has said; as the PowerCab is only a low power starter system, the need for proper Power Districts would only come about if you were to increase the track power output by adding either a SmartBooster or upgrading to the standard PowerHouse Pro system and subsequently had a requirement to add extra Boosters to power separate Power Districts.

If your enquiry is with regard to sticking with just the basic PowerCab, but dividing the layout into separate sub-Districts purely for circuit breaker protection, then as Nigel says your options are limited.

If you add the SmartBooster or PowerHouse Pro, then that limitation disappears.

On my N gauge layout all I have done is wire in a Maplin 1A auto breaker part no AK07H 59.

Its be there for two years now and works fine with the powercab.

I know many on the forum may advise against it but it works and is a lot cheaper at £1.30 than a lot of the correct options.

Ron

Archived