9A Longsight and 9E Trafford Park

Downer

• RMweb Premium

My question is: for which main line routes did these two sheds provide the motive power in the late 1950s/early 1960s? More specifically, which would have provided Britannia Pacifics for services from Manchester to London?

• RMweb Gold

Longsight Brits were often used on The Pines Express (Manchester - Bournemouth) which I often saw through Darlaston near Walsall.

Presumably they were changed locally and serviced at Aston or Saltley and returned north.

The Pines changed engines at New St in the days of the S&D. It ran via the Grand Junction line to access the Midland side of the station.

I remember being at Old Trafford cricket ground, must have been around 1959/1960 and, as a break from the Altrincham electrics and the Chester DMU, a Brit went towards Manchester on a rake made up mainly of maroon mark 1s.

Later, after taking the electric into the city, we saw 70004 William Shakespeare on the turntable at Manchester Central. My recollection is that the train was 'The Pines', diverted from Crewe, via Middlewich and Northwich, into Central, whilst London Road was in the throes of electrification and transformation into Picadilly.

• RMweb Gold

The Pines changed engines at New St in the days of the S&D. It ran via the Grand Junction line to access the Midland side of the station.

Adding to my comment, there was a crossover between the Midland side and the LNW side at the mouth of the South Tunnel that was up to recently referred to, and may still be by some people, as the Pines Crossover.

• 1 month later...

Archived