Infomation required on Summer Saturday trains

Earl Bathurst

Hi

Can anyone help with pictures or information on what type of Locos would have been present at terminus stations during a busy summer saturday working. Im modelling a cornish terminus and want to include trains from the LMR region along with the standard Western and southern engines which would be present on a day to day basis. Would LMR locos have been present on summer saturday workings down to the coast for holiday workings? Any infomation would be great :)

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Assuming you are talking about 50s and 60s then unfortunately not.

Any inter-regional trains from up north would have had an engoine change en route to switch to Western motive power.

I believe the most common place for this to happen would have been Bristol Temple Meads.

It still gives you the opportunity to model lots of LMR and ER coaching stock though :)

As you don't give a date for your modelled era, it's a bit too difficult to be specific.

Taz is correct for the steam era, Temple Meads would see the removal of LM steam locos and their replacement by WR power.

If it's the diesel era you model, things could be more flexible but apart from Peaks and Brush 4s any other LM power would be unusual at Temple Meads, let alone further west.

A good variant for the late very 60s and early 70s would be 'Mystery Excursions' which BR promoted on a grand scale and could take you to some wired and wonderful locations for a small sum. Check out the Six Bells Jct site for examples.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

From your layout thread I would assume a late steam / early diesel layout.

In those days trains on the GWR line into Cornwall were usually hauled by WR locos west of Bristol. The furthest I travelled on an LM loco was Weston Super Mare. Even many WR trains changed engines at Plymouth. By the late 1960s Laira had some Class 46 diesels which strayed over the bridge.

Coaching stock was a different matter. Stanier stock was often seen down there working through from the midlands and northwest. I also remember seeing a picture of the Cornishman at Newton Abbot with a Thompson coach between the loco and a Mk1 around 1960. I don't know if it went right through to Penzance.

Some services wouldn't even get as far as Bristol before a loco change. It was normal practice to swap at Gloucester if the service called there, many didn't of course. Gloucester also became the temporary 'normal' changeover point when the TM resignalling work was going on too. Someone on here will be able to give dates for that.

• RMweb Gold

Some services wouldn't even get as far as Bristol before a loco change. It was normal practice to swap at Gloucester if the service called there, many didn't of course. Gloucester also became the temporary 'normal' changeover point when the TM resignalling work was going on too. Someone on here will be able to give dates for that.

Most holiday trains didn't call at Gloucester, they used the avoiding line. Those trains from the midlands that did call used Eastgate and the Tuffley line before that closed around 1975.

• RMweb Gold

The Temple Meads part of Bristol resignalling was carried out in 1970 (I really must try and scan my pics of the work in progress sometime).

Hi Everyone

Thanks for replying. Sorry i didnt put the year I was modelling, the year im modelling is 50/60s. I was woundering how i can include my LMR locos into my layout? Any suggestions how i can include it into my current layout?

I can't recall seeing any shots of LMR steam locos on ex GWR routes in Devon or Cornwall. Did any Ivatt 2-6-0's work on the ex SR lines ? ex SR steam did appear on the Devon banks from time to time (wasn't a Bulleid WC the last steam loco to work over the banks in normal service around 1964/5 ?)

Regarding Peaks west of Bristol - I believe that they were diagrammed to work through on certain services (eg the ex Devonian and Cornishman) from the May 1970 timetable change, before then any appearance was noteworthy.

STEVE

Thanks for replying. Sorry i didnt put the year I was modelling, the year im modelling is 50/60s. I was woundering how i can include my LMR locos into my layout? Any suggestions how i can include it into my current layout?

The WR had an allocation of Ivatt 2MT moguls which sometimes got down to the west country (particularly on fish trains). The locos in question were 46503 to 46527, some even received lined green from the late 50s onwards so photos are your friend.

As others have noted, I don't LMS locos would have been common that far west. You could always settle for the BR standards which definitely LMS-ish being designed by Riddles. Brittanias were common enough at Penzance during the 50s although I think they were all gone by the 60s.

• RMweb Gold

I've got photographic evidence of 8Fs at Plymouth. I believe these were Western Region allocated machines though (built at swindon during WW2?)

Also Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 on running in turns from Swindon after overhaul.

I'm not aware of anything else though.

I'd recommend the book "Summer Saturdays in the West" by David StJohn Thomas - for a description of what was hauling what - and how late everything ran at the height of the Season (mainly based around Newton Abbot). Unfortunately no LMR steam. Presumably even if something slipped past Bristol TM - it would be even more unlikely to get west of Plymouth (though as Taz says there were a few GWR allocated Stanier 8Fs).

Archived