Frustrated by performance

Ray H

• RMweb Gold
the Pug is a law unto itself. It will sit rock hard on plate glass but then rocks when placed on a piece of track placed on the same plate glass!

Hi Ray,

That means the wheel flanges are not all the same depth. Get it to sit solid on the track and ignore how it sits without track.

regards,

Martin.

As 34C has said the Bachmann Jinty has a centre sprung axle just like the 08's. I have three of varying ages all have the sprung axle, so yours is definitely odd if it hasn't, or its a Hornby 3F which doesn't. I'd suggest to re-check yours and free the spring if its jammed the axle housing, that should resolve your problem unless the chassis has somehow become twisted. As I mentioned above Bachmanns chassis isn't particularly good so fine tuning it should improve it if you haven't already done so.

Yep, my Jinty was problematic out of the box. The spring loaded plunger that rests on the centre axle was jammed in the chassis. Once freed it runs fine.

As 34C has said the Bachmann Jinty has a centre sprung axle just like the 08's. I have three of varying ages all have the sprung axle, so yours is definitely odd if it hasn't, or its a Hornby 3F which doesn't. I'd suggest to re-check yours and free the spring if its jammed the axle housing, that should resolve your problem unless the chassis has somehow become twisted. As I mentioned above Bachmanns chassis isn't particularly good so fine tuning it should improve it if you haven't already done so.

PMP - thank you for that. Following the earlier comment I checked my Jinty and yes, it does have a sprung centre axle. Apologies for my earlier misstatement. It does not however have as much vertical movement as the 08 (although it may have a little more since I fiddled with it!). Nevertheless, it remains quite fussy. I must obtain some IPA and see if it helps clean the pickups. It is fitted with a Loksound v3.5 micro chip and I do wonder whether that makes it more fussy.

Having rediscovered the thread on a similar problem with an 08 fitted with SWD sound, it appears that the sound chip does make the loco more sensitive. How quickly one forgets what one has read previously!

Archived