RMweb

Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Jerry,

Yes, shame about the colour and the fat yellow stripes but it looks very pretty. The superstructure looks worthy of a visit with a black rattle can and some new wheels.

See you soon,

John

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

Yes, shame about the colour and the fat yellow stripes but it looks very pretty. The superstructure looks worthy of a visit with a black rattle can and some new wheels.

See you soon,

John

Indeed John, I shall be picking up a couple of black ones. Will give you a bell regarding getting together this week or early next.

That 4F wouldn't look out of place at Henley regatta! (I've got the land train set on order tho').

Tim

I have one on order as wellTim, probably the only time we are likely to get an accurate MR loco in correct livery RTR.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

The brass coaches look well. There is a way of designing etches for clipper-sided MR diners etc. I produced the D1196, the last of the diner designs, and the recessed sides were only soldered in place after the roof had been temporarily clipped in place to keep the panelling in line.

• RMweb Gold

The brass coaches look well. There is a way of designing etches for clipper-sided MR diners etc. I produced the D1196, the last of the diner designs, and the recessed sides were only soldered in place after the roof had been temporarily clipped in place to keep the panelling in line.

Thanks Larry. These are done using Bill Bedford sides which are scratch aids at best, spare ends from PC reductions, PCB floors and Association bogies. I made up a crude jig from card to keep the various bits of the side aligned and, importantly, the same length. Not the quickest job but I'm only likely to have to build one more dining set for the other Pines rake so it doesn't matter. The price I would have to charge to build another in 2mm means I'm unlikely to be asked by a customer!

Jerry

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jerry,

Lovely neat work - an etch or scratch built ?

Hope to see you at Larkrail on the 18th July.

John

Many thanks John. It's a reduction of a George Norton etch which I picked up from Nick Dearnley almost twenty years ago so it's about time it got built really!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

mm I've got one of those in the gloat box- but the 800 2-4-0 will be first out of the workshop.

I love the coaches Jerry - will look good on Maxstoke II or whatever I end up calling it.

Richard

Thanks Richard. If they ever get a coat of paint I'd be more than happy for them to have a rn out on your new Midland layout.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I roughed out the oil tanks this evening from some brass tube and strip. There are no dimensions for these that I can find and looking at photographs there didn't seem to be any great uniformity in their exact position either, so I've guesstimated. Indeed many I've looked at displayed quite a jaunty angle and looked too big for the coal space they were wedged into!

The reason for doing this bit next is that I wanted to see if I could shoe horn a Faulhauber 1219 motor into a Johnson tender and I think I can get away with it - just! Usually nothing smaller than a Deeley/Fowler tender is big enough.

post-1074-0-86276700-1436484512_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-91822100-1436484529_thumb.jpg

The motor is visible in front of the tanks behind the front bulkhead but many of the pictures I've been looking at show a fairly substantial supply of timber here (split, spent sleepers). I've also yet to add the coal rails so I'm confident I can loose it.

The 1.5mm rod through the axle box holes also pass through the tender chassis. This holds it and the motor in exactly the right place, crucial when clearances are tight.

Jerry

• Like 7

That looks good Jerry- are to going to build a Oil Well branch for the Colliery? perhaps a motorised 'nodding donkey' in the yard!

On a serious note, have you considered dispensing with a separate frame under the tender- a la Greenwood style? It might help drop the motor a bit more. If the main tender body frames are lined with some thin PCB the split frame approach can be maintained.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

That looks good Jerry- are to going to build a Oil Well branch for the Colliery? perhaps a motorised 'nodding donkey' in the yard!

On a serious note, have you considered dispensing with a separate frame under the tender- a la Greenwood style? It might help drop the motor a bit more. If the main tender body frames are lined with some thin PCB the split frame approach can be maintained.

Richard

If they had discovered oil in Somerset then I don't think the NSLR finances would have been quite so precarious!

I had considered doing the chassis the way John does them but I don't think it would have allowed the motor to drop much. The main reason is that I wanted to transfer some of the weight of the tender onto the rear of the loco which is really useful on a 4-4-0 and difficult to set up using functional axle boxes.

The simple answer would have been to use a smaller motor but I have several of these 12/19s and they are a lovely motor.

Jerry

• Like 2

Hi Jerry: wonderful inspirational modelling and cat pictures, that's what the internet is for!

Thanks for showing the workings of 766, I'm fascinated by the solutions involved in getting the motor and drive into those tiny jewel-like locos.

I hope to get to see Tucking Mill sometime soon and saying hello.

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's very nice Jerry. How are you going to do the pipework behind the dome? There is a suggested method in Pete Wright's 'Loco bits' book, I think. 

Nig H

• RMweb Gold

That's very nice Jerry. How are you going to do the pipework behind the dome? There is a suggested method in Pete Wright's 'Loco bits' book, I think. 

Nig H

Thanks Nigel. I picked up some some very fine brass tube and was planning to fabricate something with that, some wire and etch waste but thanks for reminding me, I shall look up what Pete did. I have a tin of left over bits from wagon chassis which heralds all sorts of useful strips and shapes. The spare brake levers I find particularly useful - long thin strips with an etched hole in one end.

Pete Wright's little book is a cracker (as was Pete). Amongst other things he outlines a method of making Whitaker token apparatus - essential for any SDJR allocated loco.

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I see Steam at Swindon mentions that there will be a 2mfs model of Bath Queens Square. This must be you what are you taking? Unfortunately I may be away then.

Don