Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

Well its been a productive Christmas break. In order to keep me in the fold and not allow me disappear down the workshop I was granted permission to set up camp with my portable work bench at the bureau in the corner of the front room for the duration so I was able to whittle away all evening and still be in the ###### of the family as they sat through hours of naff telly!! The result is that all the coaches now have bogies and, with the exception of the two 65 footers, pretty much complete underframes.

Progress has now had to grind to a halt as I have been instructed to put all my toys away as we have friends round this evening to see in the new year. Unfortunately I've not taken any snaps of them yet but will get some up in the next week or so. For those that are interested details of the coaches being built are as follows;

D470    Bain 54' BCK  (Chris Higgs)

D473    Clayton 54' TK  (ex PC)

These first two form the Liverpool portion

D571     65' RF   (Bill Bedford sides)

D572     65'  TO   (Bill Bedford sides)

D560     Bain 54' TK  (Chris Higgs)

D467     Bain 54'  BFK  (Chris Higgs)

These four are the Manchester section. The six coaches above was the normal loading for the Diner/Pines but during the height of the summer this would often be increased to eight so I have added a couple of strengtheners.

D475    Bain 54' BTK  (Chris Higgs)

D469    Clayton  54' CK (ex PC)  

Happy New year all, Jerry

These will make a fantastic train Jerry, can't wait to see them when done. The 4F looks great too. What is the origin of the tender?

Nig H

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jerry,

I built one of these kits about 20 years ago. I scratchbuilt the chassis using a 38:1 worm on the front driving wheel axle, with a Faulhaber 1016 in the tender. I did an article for the Mag c.1992 (the building of 40743) which you could look up to see how not to do it! Please let me know if you do want any more info.

Nig H

Thanks Nigel, I'd forgotten about that, I shall certainly look it up. I suspect we probably bought the etch at a similar time!!

These will make a fantastic train Jerry, can't wait to see them when done. The 4F looks great too. What is the origin of the tender?

Nig H

I'll try to take some more pictures of the coaches in the next few days as they have made great strides over the Christmas break.

The tender on the 4F started out as the Johnson one that comes with the 3P etch. I've ground off the centre beading on the tank sides and made a few other mods so that it is a reasonable representation of the correct type although it still has a few issues which I am prepared to live with. The most common type to run with the Midland 4Fs  - including those delivered to the S&D, is that with no flat beading and very visible round head rivets on the tank sides. 

I'm waiting to see what tender Farish produce with their 4F when it arrives although I suspect it won't be one of these. Their blue (sic) SDJR 4F No. 58 which they have just released has the wrong tender.

Jerry  

Hello Jerry,

I built one of these kits about 20 years ago. I scratchbuilt the chassis using a 38:1 worm on the front driving wheel axle, with a Faulhaber 1016 in the tender. I did an article for the Mag c.1992 (the building of 40743) which you could look up to see how not to do it! Please let me know if you do want any more info.

Nig H

It's in August 1998, page 55

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick snap of another of my slow burning projects, MR 1F  0-6-0T which will be finished as  No. 1874 which was the resident shunter at Bath's Midland Bridge Road yard for many years.

post-1074-0-35093000-1415140965_thumb.jpg

The cab and boiler fittings are just balanced in place which explains the rather jaunty angles.

With the nights getting cold and too dark to do anything in the garden I tend to stoke up the woodburner and get a couple of hours modelling done in the evenings at my little work station in the corner of the front room. Winter can be very productive - who knows I may get those coaches and the roof finished by spring!!

Jerry

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi queensquare,

There is some fantastic work shown in this thread, which I have just read from page eight backwards to the start(!). I thought at first this was 4mm scale modelling - astounding stuff.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I'm a big fan of your scratchbuilding in plasticard. Those EMUs are stunning.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Andy Y, at my request, has kindly merged the separate topic on the trainshed roof into this thread as it was in danger of disappearing into the ether. It contains lots of photos of prototype and model and starts at the top of page three.

Jerry

A quick snap of another of my slow burning projects, MR 1F  0-6-0T which will be finished as  No. 1874 which was the resident shunter at Bath's Midland Bridge Road yard for many years.

Jerry,

I'd have thought that you would have done a half-cab one :-)

Now that you've got a little milling machine, it's time to throw away those chassis sides and mill a new one in solid brass too :-)

Lovely work by the way.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

I'd have thought that you would have done a half-cab one :-)

Now that you've got a little milling machine, it's time to throw away those chassis sides and mill a new one in solid brass too :-)

Lovely work by the way.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I did fancy a half cab one but both of the locos regularly used at Bath in my period were the full cab ones  - they are also easier!

The 1F and the 3P 4-4-0 are locos I started ages ago so will have the original chassis but the next new one I start will have a milled one - I've been really impressed with those I've seen. Trying hard to be disciplined and not start a new one before finishing those on the go.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just caught up with the track formation from 'ZOB werke AG'

Magnificent Jerry. Blimey, doesn't time fly!

Hi John, ZOB crossing is magnificent and really pushed the project forward. I have built around 70% of the pointwork now so proper tracklaying can start soon - can't wait.

Jerry 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How on earth I missed this when I follow your other threads I really don't know! Can Andy add an exquisite button please ;) While I think the 4mm Green Park is wonderful the earlier period locos and stock here are going to look even more so for me. How did you clean flux off the roof, in the bath with a soft brush? Great to see the hand of Mr H involved too on the trackwork, as with the larger model talented friends really help the momentum.

• RMweb Gold

How on earth I missed this when I follow your other threads I really don't know! Can Andy add an exquisite button please ;) While I think the 4mm Green Park is wonderful the earlier period locos and stock here are going to look even more so for me. How did you clean flux off the roof, in the bath with a soft brush? Great to see the hand of Mr H involved too on the trackwork, as with the larger model talented friends really help the momentum.

Hi Paul, you're not the first to say they can't find the thread. I'm toying with the idea of transferring it over to the general layouts thread. I think it would get a lot more traffic there which would be no bad thing for promoting 2FS generally but I do rather like being in a bit of a backwater on the site. I'll give it some thought and perhaps get Andy Y's views as I'll see him in a couple of weeks.

As for the roof, essentially, yes! I have cleaned it up in the shower once but it will need another good going over once its ready for painting.

You are also spot on about talented friends. I'm very lucky with those who have been kind/daft enough to give me help and advice so far. One project for the future (good couple of years at least), on the short stretch of the Lower Bristol Road along the front of the layout is a representation of the Bath Trams on a shuttle. ZOB works has been briefed (briefly!) regarding consultancy -  tracks in the road being a particular speciality!

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is this Eveleigh? 

P.s. it's sat on the chassis backwards. 

Yes it is and so it is! Good job they are not permanently attached, just sat there for the photo.

Its a very nice little kit and went together without any problems.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

A quick question; I know Queensquare is a home-based layout, but will any part of it be exhibitable?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, a question that's still up for debate - Kim is adament we take it out at least a couple of times, I'm less keen. I really enjoy exhibiting but with small, easy to manage layouts which Bath most certainly is not! I would need a team of at least six and a Luton van.

The layout is designed to be moveable rather than portable. The two main boards are 6'6" x 2'6" which is what suits the track plan. Also it's U shaped and viewed from the inside although I am thinking of putting some points in the hidden sections so it can be made into an L.

I have taken lumps of it to Warley, York and Wells and will be doing something similar at Railex in 2016 although this is as a static display or limited movement as a demonstration with stock and research materials.

We shall see ........

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Kim is adament we take it out at least a couple of times, I'm less keen.

I'm with Kim on this one ;)

Infact an event such as RMWeb live might be the perfect stage for a "regular" once a year outing for Queensquare. I know someone who wouldn't hesitate in volunteering to help transport & operate......

Tom.

• Like 2