Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

That's nothing. The other night I had a dram out of the bottle of 'cask proof' (61.1%) Islay malt I have.

Presumably you'll be avoiding all naked flames for the foreseeable future.....

Edited by Argos

No, I gave Craftsmanship/clever to Jerry, anyone opening a bottle of beer deserves it in my opinion!

Though I have to admit, I do follow the thread for the superb modelling as well. I have seen your work at exhibition including at Expo EM this year.

Happy Christmas.

Martyn

• RMweb Gold

No, I gave Craftsmanship/clever to Jerry, anyone opening a bottle of beer deserves it in my opinion!

Though I have to admit, I do follow the thread for the superb modelling as well. I have seen your work at exhibition including at Expo EM this year.

Happy Christmas.

Martyn

That's very kind, thanks Martyn.

To be honest I deserved a craftsmanship/clever as, contrary to speculation above, I got the top off with a set of side cutting pliers as I didn't have a bottle opener in the workshop and I couldn't be bothered to brave the elements to go to the house and get one.

As for the other tipples mentioned, a pint of good beer is the perfect accompaniment to a couple of hours pottering at the bench in the evening, a 61% scotch or 14% beer are definitely post modelling session drinks!

Holiday season resolution - start nothing new but get a few projects finished. We'll see ........

Merry Christmas all

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

post-1074-0-26882100-1545429859_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-58470900-1545429922_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-21407500-1545429999_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-50255300-1545430046_thumb.jpg

This evening I have been mostly painting the final signal box for Bath - its in danger of being finished over Christmas - only about four or five years since I started it! In the spirit of recent posts I was accompanied by a gentle Pinot Noir.

I was chatting with the founder of a well known interweb forum earlier today and he said he wasn't keen on the Midland signal box colours. What does he know - chrome yellow and Venetian red are perfect:-)

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In my coaches I have used tape over the LEDs to produce a less stark colour.

I've found that Tamiya masking tape and DCC kapton insulating tape both work equally well.

I find this better than paint for multi LED setups like coaches because the density of the tape is repeatable whereas getting a consistent amount of paint on multiple LEDs is tricky.

Probably best kept for situations where the LEDs are out of the line of sight though.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Gold

The history of the boxes at Bath is complex, a full explanation can be found here.

http://www.trainweb.org/railwest/railco/sdjr/bath-jcn.html#TCS

Essentially, pre 1924, there was Bath Station, Bath Junction and Bath Single Line Junction, post 1924 there was Bath Station and the new Bath Junction which replaced the old junction and single line boxes as per signal instruction 275

post-1074-0-57921400-1545997860_thumb.jpg

Below is the only known picture of the Single Line Junction box, a MR type 1 box. Its also a rather nice shot of the Bristol side of bridge No 1 which I was building a page or two back.

post-1074-0-04349800-1545997138_thumb.jpg

Likewise, there is only one known picture of the old Bath Junction box but thanks to Midland standardisation it is possible from the rather grainy image to work out a reasonably accurate picture of what it would have looked like. This superb shot of brand new SDJR 7F undergoing trials dates from 1914. Tantalisingly, its about to pass in front of the single line box.

post-1074-0-55912200-1545997884_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-85350200-1545997951_thumb.jpg

This picture was taken almost half a century later in exactly the same spot. The old Bath Junction box is long gone and its 1924 replacement is out of site behind the loco.

post-1074-0-99459500-1545997969_thumb.jpg

Bath Station and the new Bath Junction boxes are shown below.

post-1074-0-81450100-1545998715.jpg

post-1074-0-86255700-1545997927_thumb.jpg

My rather loose period covers the decade or so from the end of the first war until 1930 when the SDJR lost its independence - 1924 comes slap in the middle of that. Consequently, I'm not sure exactly what combination of boxes I will use. I can leave them on plug in bases so I can mix and match which would be particularly useful when photographing the layout. Another option is the fact that for at least some time during the spring of 1924 all the boxes would have been present whilst the alterations were put in place which appeals but with the inevitable compression in the model this may look too busy. Time will tell but, as with most things, I will make it up as I go along and accept the unavoidable compromises!

On the model, the functions (much simplified) of the boxes will be worked from the main panel using the two, twenty lever frames recently completed. The two goods yards, carriage sidings and two loco sheds will be worked from smaller, local frames. I'm still working on the finer details of exactly how!

Jerry 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating Jerry. I suppose if you model it as per 1924 just after the changeover the old boxes would still be in place. You could then make just the New Bath Junction box removable to be able to revert to earlier days at least for the asppearance. Much harder to change the working to different frames! What was the driver for the change reduction of manpower, ease of maintenance, increased line capacity  or longer trains.

Don