A different scenic modelling medium?

A few years ago Mrs C who is into painting and things generally arty stumbled on a different way of making garden sculptures and quite got into doing these using a medium known as Paverpol. I did wonder at the time if it had model railway application but as i wasnt doing anything on landscape building put it to the back of my head. Then I had my attention drawn to this Youtube clip by Mrs C, and further to that, this weekend noticed a traders van at Glasgow with paverpol on the side (badly DIY applied !!) but didnt suss which trader it was as a bit too busy playing trains.

anyone else used this - and what do they think as Im considering using it on North Ballachulish, it seems to have the advantage over plaster in that it does not chip or flake. Equally as messy though, trust me, Ive seen it done!

Heres their website: http://www.paverpol-uk.co.uk/

Have you tried/thought about Sculptamould- a paper mache/plaster mix that I came across recently and have started using on my new build.It is far less messy than plaster and can be shaped as required, and once dry is as hard as nails. I'm certainly a convert to it.

Mrs C seems to use anything although old T shirts seem the favoured substance. I do like the fact that its light but solid and unlike plaster, does not crack. Ive seen the sculptamould stuff but wasnt overly impressed, my magic mix of plaster, powder paint and PVA seems just as solid and reliable.

• 4 weeks later...

I must admit that I went the plaster route on my layout. Rather than use bandage cloth, old shirts or old sheets, I found that the Chux Superwipe works just as good. Not necessarily the Chux brand, any cheap brand would do the trick. This is a cheap alternative as it was less than $3.00 (AU) for 20 pack of 12" x 24" cloths. It is just as pourous as the bandage clothe, but just as workable. I even used the Chux on my slot car set up, but instead of plaster, which I knew would chip (wayward speeding cars out of control), I cut up the Chux (4" squares) and wet down with a 60/40 PVA / water mix, overlayed each section by thirds, which actually gave a solid shell to landscape upon once dry, and lightweight as well.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived