NER Coal drops

The remains of those cells are still there where the current box is although there isn't much left of them, given the history of Morpeth station perhaps they are a hold over from the different railway companies all using the same site?

I reckon that shot of Hexham was taken just before the coal yard shut, after the miners' strike- you can see the roofs of some new buildings in the background, which weren't there in the early 1980s; they're on the site of and old MoS depot which had been taken over by the council.

There are some shots on 'Ernie's Railway Archive' site, which might be of interest:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5854511830/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5854491464/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5854498042/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5853941583/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5853947009/

One thing that is evident is that the rail is normal chaired bull-head on longitudinal timbers of pretty massive proportions- at least a foot square by my estimation.

There are a fair number of coal drop views scattered across my Eastern & North Eastern Region collection. The Wensleydale one has views at Leyburn & Bedale for example. One aspect that becomes apparent is the differing heights of some of the facilities. I have added some views of the Morpeth one in use (just) in the Morpeth Collection.

Ernie

There are a fair number of coal drop views scattered across my Eastern & North Eastern Region collection. The Wensleydale one has views at Leyburn & Bedale for example. One aspect that becomes apparent is the differing heights of some of the facilities. I have added some views of the Morpeth one in use (just) in the Morpeth Collection.

Ernie

I was thinking that earlier, the ones at Goathland are about 8 feet high, Pickering was at least 10, and Glaisdale and Egton were considerably more due to the height of the railway above road level. At the other end of the scale those drops at Hexham seem quite low, probably about 6 feet. The lowest I have come across so far seem to be the ones at Grosmont (little trace remain) where evidence would suggest a depth of no more than 4 feet at most.

Turning into a fascinating thread is this one!

• RMweb Premium

Just for interest here are the coal depots at Whittingham in 1973. It appears that the two cells next to the weigh bridge cabin were originall covered (as were those at Beamish). If my memory is correct those at Beamish originally came from Glanton wich is almost a stone's throw from Whittingham.

post-6751-0-64172800-1331917433_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

apologies, work was getting in the way and i needed to look at those pics and have a proper think. Thanks to all for posting up pictures. There's a wealth of detail to be found in there that makes the plans in the books about the NER seem like sketches. I suppose they were a mundane part of operations so as long as they didn't fail structurally they weren't well documented or planned.

Mick's excellent pics of the topside of drops has set me wondering if the use of girder rail was an NER southern division feature. Looking around the central and northern divisions seem to have gone for waybeams and bridge chairs. The girder rail method has an advantage in that making the wooden decking is easy in that it can be laid on the web of the rail and the adjacent walltop, whereas from what i can gather the way beam method mostly seems to end up with decking running parallel to track which would imply a supporting frame underneath since a 12' plank spanning the whole cell would bow under not a lot of weight. would this mean that this frame was notched into the waybeam? I remember seeing bridge waybeams on the CK&PR that were notched for timbers at right angles to the beam, so there is a similar precedent.

Arthur, the design of the Whittingham drops is reminiscent of Esk valley line installations, do you have any closer images?

Ernie, if i identify a number of images would it be possible to get the full res scans to look at please?

To some this must seem awfully esoteric, and I freely admit it is just that but it would understanding construction would help greatly I feel in ensuring accuracy, with the bonus that we've recovered some lost info along the way.

Cheers all

Steve

aaaah, more haste less speed.

I've just gone into the enlargements of "Pan-Biarm" and Arthur's files and may have an answer. In the former's shot of Hexham, the walkway has been removed/collapsed dismantled in the nearer section but remains towards the far end. Poking out round the back of the Merchant's Office is the ends of some of the timberwork. It appears the supporting frame for the decking was "stitched" to the side of the waybeam at the rail end and picked up on heavier outside timbers resting on the cellwall at the outside edge with planks laid on top to suit. Whittingham confirms the outer edge arrangement. I now feel free to start drawing, cutting, and building.

Cheers again

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Steve

I do have some other Photos of Whittingham but I am not sure where these are. I don't think that they are in B&W as I have scanned all (?) the railway content of those.

Five minutes later!

Yep! They are colour I've found them. According to my index there are two of the coal depots plus the goods shed and station. By that time (1981) the site had been taken over by a builder with his clutter all over the place. I cannot remember how close I got. I will scan them and if they are any good I will post them here.

ArthurK

• 1 month later...

Apologies yet again - work breaks the concentration. Thanks for those Arthur - it makes me wish I'd chosen a location with more of a goods yard and in rough hewn sandstone - lovely little structures. Btw I found a set of B&W copies of some Prosser drawings for an NER crow-stepped gable station building and matching goods shed if anyone wants to do an NER country station in sandstone (Lealholm/Egton iirc). These copies were given as part of research for a college project in the early '90s. There's also a 3-arch Esk valley over bridge and a large part of Larpool Viaduct if anyone is feeling really ambitious.

Anyway back to topic. Mick N's Beverley pics set me thinking. I knew I had a seen a similar pic of the top of a set of drops on the Stainmore route but the demise of Fotopic meant I was a bit at sea other than for a little lo-res pic I'd liberated for reference. Anyway google is your friend and I've found these

http://CumbrianRailways.zenfolio.com/p349676717/e6765e25

Note the use of two-bolt chairs

http://CumbrianRailways.zenfolio.com/p349676717/e59c61ec

Note the timbering arrangement for the decking.

http://CumbrianRailways.zenfolio.com/p349676717/e11b27d43

interesting for the use of an NER cast framed buffer stop and the length of the over run track.

I am wondering if the rail girder structures were an NER southern division foible, central and northern div structures seem to favour timber beams.

cheers all

Steve

• 4 years later...

Returning to this project, I've spent a bit of time trying to ascertain the chairing arrangements. Some pictures from Gaisgill and Clifton Moor suggested one arrangement probably involving NER 4 bolt common chairs, while the evidence on the ground at Bowes and Lartington, suggested a more minimal arrangement of 3 6"x24"x0.25" plates to protect the timbers whose dimensions suggested the use of a chair with a small footprint such as a bridge chair. Digging out the measurements of both LNER std L1 (10.5x11"), M1 (8.75x10") and NER bridge chairs (13x9") and dropping these into the CAD soup seemed to confirm this but no visual supporting evidence has been forthcoming. Apart from one picture. Thanks to Ernie Brack's collection on Flickr, particularly https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6658592531/in/photolist-b9p2zv-8stTuT-gu5PAD-ps5eKJ-6XSw2w-8yPmcy-frLBpP-cX6DM7-nzmvgj-b59bfr-psfZ8c-nqVfNb-8swWew-7Sqpvf-6bX5up-7FXbP4-5XGKwT-ouhNvV-arV52X-ow9ZU8-8Cyzud-jTKuXZ-8p4kPF-8V7Vfw-5JeavQ-iuBtW3-zWDVkW-ocdaCR-4ysveo-7G28Vh-7egUTR-4yogAt-7FK8K4-8cuAwC-8dcFrd-i6MDwn-fJ5nDS-bSxb2k-e485PX-9DNCxB-jDEzzu-ptYGtz-ex7Wxh-73xhBH-owoxHc-GphLMt-qTRLcc-dHiiit-dTkhzZ-8BqmHx for confirming the use of NER bridge chairs placed centrally on the beam. Now down in 4mm scale the difference between the two footprints is minimal so Exactoscale L1 bridge chairs it is.

I am wondering if the rail girder structures were an NER southern division foible, central and northern div structures seem to favour timber beams.

Jarrow goods yard had both styles.

I've some slides of them somewhere if I can did out and scan I'll post them on here

Perhaps it was more date related?

Archived