First Attempt With Electra Railway Graphics Vinyls

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Today I attempted to convert a Farish Mark 3 into the EWS Management Train Sleeper Coach.

I started with a Virgin Buffet which I stripped down to its component parts leaving me with just the bodyshell. Following Adams instructions I removed the printed livery and details with Brasso which left me with this...

post-6924-0-76945800-1330729001.jpg

I gave the shell a right good clean and left to dry. The vinyls are very easy to apply, I lined up with the roof line and step under the doors carefully laid the vinyl on, once it looked right I applied pressure from the centre outwards, upwards and downwards to fix it in place.

post-6924-0-22042400-1330729252.jpg

I think its turned out not too bad at all for my first attempt, a bit of weathering will help disguise the white edges around the windows etc.

Total time for the project from dis-assembling the coach to re-assembling was about 2 hours, excluding drying time!

Onlty after taking the photo's did I realise I'd used the wrong coach for this conversion, should have used an open or sleeper coach! Never mind, the roof comes off and I'll swap it around when I do the other 2 coaches to make up the complete train!

I plan to put a basic interior inside, the sleeper compartments and corridor. I've added some well needed weight inside the underframe moulding. I'll also need to repaint the coach ends and roof - does anyone know the correct colours for these?

Guest 40-something

Nice job there, Joe! I have the other two coaches ready when you are :)

Hi Adam

Thanks for your comments, an order will be coming your way shortly!

Guest 40-something

Nice job there. It is a good feeling the first time you take that step into converting something. :)

Thanks Karhedron,

This is the first conversion work I've done in N for many many years, and even then it was a disaster! I have no problems ripping things apart and converting in 4mm, but with N's increasing quality I felt its about time I tried my hand at the smaller stuff!

Guest 40-something

Would a felt tip pen cover the white edges?

Khris

Hi Khris

I think it would if done before application, but Im sure a bit of weathering will hide them, or at least tone down

• RMweb Gold

The white edges around the windows is one of the unavoidable bugbears of using vinyl, though it does have an advantage on certain liveries with chrome window surrounds. The refurbished 4-CEPs, Royal Train and Irish Mk3s, for example look great (IMHO):)

A felt-tip along the edges works wonders on the coach ends and a little judicious weathering does indeed tone things down nicely. Nigel Burkin's recent articles in BRM really show the potential of these conversions when taken to the n'th degree with lots of additional detailing.

I did the felt tip pen (an indelible one) after fitting but found the black ink ran into the varnish. For the next one I removed all the window inserts while still on the backing sheet and went round with the black pen at that stage, which worked much better.

Archived