Brakedown Crane Crew / Generator Coach

Ydna

I was wondering whether anyone can help me. I'm planning on building a Brakedown Crane Crew / Generator Coach, something like the ones pictured below:

post-14666-0-37592300-1330876480_thumb.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the prototype and I'm wondering whether it is just a case of respraying a Mk.2 Coach of some-sort. If you can help me with this unusual topic then I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Most breakdown coaches were older than that. That model is a redundant Mk1 on engineering. I have butchered an old SR suburban coach that was Triang I think. That plus a CCT and the crane itself.

From a previous thread, I think that accomodation coaches were rare on breakdown trains. I don't think they slept until the line was clear. Then they handed it back to engineering to do the repairs. They may well have used accommodation coaches on long rural jobs but even so this coach would need a siding to avoid blocking the line again.

The breakdown crew were more interested in power for lights and other things like hydraulic power for jacks etc so the coaches were frequently fitted with diesels powered pumps and generators.

Too me ages to get the louvred intakes. Evergreen shiplap seems the best and with careful sanding you can get the curved ends as well.

Guest stuartp

From a previous thread, I think that accomodation coaches were rare on breakdown trains. I

Possibly true of civil engineer's trains where crew buses were available, but not breakdown trains in my experience. You might conceivably leave the crane and just take the vans, but the staff coach/riding van went everywhere, not least because it had messing facilities (i.e. the kettle) even if they didn't need the bunks.

Shed loads of them on here:

http://www.departmentals.com/photos

Try the 97- number series,look for "BTU Staff & Dormitory Van " and "BTU Tool Vans". Apart from a couple of NSE-liveried ones, all the staff coaches seem to be Mk1s, including the ones either side of the number Hornby have chosen. There are any number of variations from straightforward resprays to major rebuilds.

Most breakdown coaches were older than that. That model is a redundant Mk1 on engineering. I have butchered an old SR suburban coach that was Triang I think. That plus a CCT and the crane itself.

From a previous thread, I think that accomodation coaches were rare on breakdown trains. I don't think they slept until the line was clear. Then they handed it back to engineering to do the repairs. They may well have used accommodation coaches on long rural jobs but even so this coach would need a siding to avoid blocking the line again.

The breakdown crew were more interested in power for lights and other things like hydraulic power for jacks etc so the coaches were frequently fitted with diesels powered pumps and generators.

Too me ages to get the louvred intakes. Evergreen shiplap seems the best and with careful sanding you can get the curved ends as well.

OK, thankyou very much for the info and advise. Shall I edit the topic title so it says 'Breakdown Crane Generator and power-supply Coach' instead?

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly true of civil engineer's trains where crew buses were available, but not breakdown trains in my experience. You might conceivably leave the crane and just take the vans, but the staff coach/riding van went everywhere, not least because it had messing facilities (i.e. the kettle) even if they didn't need the bunks.

And of course a rather important for taking the riding van was because it was the means of transport to get the gang to & from site! I can only think of one occasion (in many years) of seeing the vans out without the riding van and it was when the derailment the crane (unusual to have the crane too of course) was working within about 400 yds of its stabling point. (And even that caused complaints about lack of tea :O ).

OK, thankyou very much for the info and advise. Shall I edit the topic title so it says 'Breakdown Crane Generator and power-supply Coach' instead?

Thanks again.

If anything, change it to the description/s Stuart gave above - vis "BTU Staff & Dormitory Van " and "BTU Tool Vans"...

All of the conversions I worked on (12" to the foot) were, in the 1970s, of Mark 1 BSK's - so there's a fair guide in where to start for the Staff / Tool Vans. Most of these were built to replace many of the ancient vehicles that had been used up to that time.

Archived