Corporate Blue and Warning Yellow Acrylics in Canada

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, can anyone tell me if there is a good match for BR Corporate Blue and Warning Yellow in acrylics in the Polly Scale range or other acrylics range available in Canada or should I import something from the UK?

Hi JCL,

Just had a quick Google, regarding Poly Scale (acrylic) paints.

Q.1... Are they still available, over there ? There seems to be some decisions / discussions / questions made, some time ago.

http://www.nscale.ne...lyscale-no-more

Q.2...Have you got, to hand, any modelled UK, BR Blue Locos, or Blue ('n Grey) stock to refer to ? It maybe worth looking in on the parent Testor's site / paint colour charts, to compare.

http://www.testors.c.../133504/Floquil

HTH.

The last time I looked I couldn't find anything that was a straight match for any of the variations of BR blue.

Warning panel yellow shouldn't be a problem, again depending on what you are trying to match. Possibly start by looking at variations of UP Armor Yellow.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I was pretty much looking at Model Train Stuff (I'm a few hours from the nearest store) for inspiration: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Acrylic-Paints-s/947.htm I'll be heading to Calgary in a month so I'll either take my Class 20 in and see what can be done or I'll order from the UK.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Hi JCL.

Depending on how accurate the Model Trains / Poly Scale colour chart is, plus relying on the Mk.1 eyeball (yours and mine), and the colour representation on both our monitors, I'd say that that for BR front end Yellow, you could try :-

404085 Signal Yellow

414125 Railbox Yellow

414236 EL Yellow

Or any of the comparable, brighter Yellows.

For a range of Blues, these appear to be close.

414150 ATSF Blue

414194 D&H Blue

414230 BAR Blue

Matching colours is always a bit hit 'n miss / experimental (Don't get me started on BR Greens). Even the UK models / model paints can vary in their interpretations.

So, like you say, it's always a good idea to have a reference to hand.

Regards, Frank.

I haven't found that any of the US Railroad colours have enough of a greenish cast to look like BR blue.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I haven't any experience of using US Railway model paints, let alone, seeing the 'real thing'. I can only make a guess.

It boils down to, how accurate a colour(s), is JCL looking for ?

As you point out, BR Blue has a certain Green tint, but the colour itself can vary, from freshly painted, to weathered / washed out.

Thinking about this, some of the UK railway modellers use car body, touch-in aerosol paints for a better equivalent, and, I'm left asking... 'Has anyone, over there, sussed out, car colours that match' ?

Also, a question for JCL...'Are you in contact with any other Canadian modellers (of UK, or otherwise), who, maybe, can come up with an answer ?'

Regards, Frank (5,000+ Miles distant)

Thinking about this, some of the UK railway modellers use car body, touch-in aerosol paints for a better equivalent, and, I'm left asking... 'Has anyone, over there, sussed out, car colours that match' ?

We don't seem to paint cars in non-metallic colours these days, so it is quite hard to find car aerosols that are useful.

As I said above, I have found some Krylon and Plasti-Kote general purpose aerosols that have reasonably useful colours. You do have to be careful spraying them as it is very easy to get them too thick.

These were done with the paints mentioned (two different variants of chocolate):

post-206-0-01641400-1294231797_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-99903500-1294231761_thumb.jpg

Adrian

Archived