Presflo Tunnel Cement Triple Pack 38-285, What time period

Trevor H

I have just checked. It is showing on Bachmann's website as era 5 i.e. late crest BR. You are suggesting that these wagons are era 8. I notice that Paul's photos give the batch build date and this varies from 1964 to 1977 but all the photos would appear to be scrap lines in 1986. I remember from a previous thread that early Presflos were 20ton and later ones 22Ton. These are 22ton.

I am now confused. Is it possible that these Presflos were built in small batches over many years?

Is it possible that these Presflos were built in small batches over many years?

Oh, just a bit David - just like most BR wagons in fact. Around 2000 of them, from 1954 to maybe 1960 or so. Paul's images all have Lot numbers and dates on them.

Bachmann new stock has an era number, doesn't it? I have found my particular era ( 5/6 ) to be a good guide to these things.

Bachmann have put the era as (5) which I know is wrong, but I was hoping for the livery being around circa 1970.

I may be corrected, but most Tunnel Cement Presflo's were painted in plain bauxite with a T prefix fleet number. They also owned some that were fitted with white boards and the words "Bulk Tunnel Cement" as the earlier Bachmann model. Then the boards were painted red with the big white "T" and "Tunnel Bulk Cement" written in black, of which I found a photo dated 1972. This was then followed with the boards removed and a white "T" and "Tunnel Cement" in black applied, directly to the wagon as the Bachmann model.

Have just found a David Larkin photo in "Working Wagons vol 2" of B873852 in ex works condition carrying the above livery in 1974.

Getting earlier, but I think I'm out of luck for 1970.

Thanks for all the replies and I'm sure someone will come up with a definite date. As mentioned in my last thread, the earliest I've come across is this livery, is the DL photo dated 1974 and this may well be about the time the livery was first applied.

The yellow oval plate is the "TC89xx" number, which wasn't applied until probably the mid 80's I should think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've bought a set of these as mid-to-late 70s is perfect for my core period....my pack has just one discharge pipe in the accessory pack, does anyone know if they have they all been delivered like this?

I queried this with Bachmann service when I received my triple pack complete with just one discharge pipe. Here's the reply: - "The triple packs of Presflo wagons contain just one of the dischange pipes as it can only be used when a coupler is removed"...very helpful!!

• RMweb Premium

I queried this with Bachmann service when I received my triple pack complete with just one discharge pipe. Here's the reply: - "The triple packs of Presflo wagons contain just one of the dischange pipes as it can only be used when a coupler is removed"...very helpful!!

Hmm, yes, I'm not sure that has been thought through.....given that most people won't want to ditch the NEM sockets I guess there are plenty of spare discharge pipe mouldings out there, but despite your reply from the service dept I would imaging the intention was to include 3 in the 3-packs!

Archived