Is it wrong?

Jack P

Hello all,

As my first post, I thought I'd ask something which has been on my mind since I saw it done at a railshow a few months ago, is it wrong to repaint BR built locomotives, I saw some stunning LMS ones, and I have been thinking how nice it would be to have a SR olive green Black 5 or 4MT! the only problem is that, I have no idea where I would get the right colour, airbrushing is easy enough, I just need a donor engine. If anyone could link me to a site with SR olive green paint for sale, that would be much appreciated!

My first project, a little (used to be L.N.E.R) tank, now converted to SR! Awaiting connecting rods, hand rails, and transfers! ^_^

527827_3571841217466_1316075683_3434483_2096226045_n.jpg

Jack :)

• RMweb Premium

Is it illegal? Not in Canada or the U.S.

Immoral? possibly. Do not confess this to your CofE vicar.

Inadvisable? see my thread on getting lynched.

If the NRM is happy to display a GWR Hall in red then anything goes....

I'll admit that of all of the liveries used down the years SR olive green appears one of the most cheerless, go for sunshine livery!

Paul Bartlett

Well if your layout is a variation on the 'If Nationalisation didn't happen' (maybe the government funded a 'standard' program of locos to help the railways recover) why not? :-D

Course a Black 5 ought to always be Black!!! :P

Guest Natalie Graham

Some preserved railways have done similar. Lakeside and Haverthwaite had a standard tank in CR blue and one in another pre-grouping livery I can't recall. (Furness?)

Are you certain that the locos you saw were BR standards and not LMS ones; the senior designers behind the standards were all ex-LMS and the smaller standards are near direct copies of LMS designs.

BTW, remember always that model trains are toy trains; any rules are self imposed. Having said that, it would be sacrilege.

regards, OS

Guest Natalie Graham

Are you certain that the locos you saw were BR standards and not LMS ones;

Absolutely not, my knowledge of railway locos pretty much expires at 1923. :)

A fair few replies! I had no idea it would be so, sacrilegeous! ^_^ Ahh well, It would be interesting to see a black 5, or brittania class, with a bullied tender! Something I will surely document! To somewhat illustrate my objective, i have taken a few photos today, while the weather was nice, still only photos off my phone <_< so excuse the crappy quality. This was once an L.N.E.R tank, given to me by a friend, Still needs handrails and some more detailing parts, but it is getting there, the SR olive green paint has gone on, and I love it! :wub:

422866_3460795521393_1316075683_3382339_553295080_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426249_3460799441491_1316075683_3382340_1721384732_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431522_3460800361514_1316075683_3382341_143476586_n.jpg

Will update sooon!

- Jack

• RMweb Premium

Ahh well, It would be interesting to see a black 5, or brittania class, with a bullied tender!

A model from the loco exchanges -- the loco that donated its tender to the Bulleid running with the Bulleid's tender.

• 3 weeks later...

WOO! Progress has been made! ^_^ Another coat of green has gone on, and red along the running plates, cab interior and veiw holes have been painted, coal load added. I have started work on the connecting rods, however, I've missplaced one! :wacko: So I need to try and find a replacement. Transfers are on their way by air mail as we speak, then i just need handrails and she will be finished! It's a pity she's a static peice!

527827_3571841217466_1316075683_3434483_2096226045_n.jpg

Archived