NZ Weathering Services

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Does anyone know of any weathering services in New Zealand? I have done a quick Google but couldnt really see any. Im a bit jubious as to doing it myself. Thanks in advance.

Hilux

Hi Hilux,

I've never come across any services like that in NZ (where I live), but I'm not active in any group. I just haven't heard any reference to weathering at all, let alone on commercial basis. For repairs I cannot do I use Acorn Models of Christchurch who have a very talented repairman... very reasonable but not exactly overnight service. They might know of someone but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If I wanted weathering I would probably take deep breath and send the model to somewhere in the UK like TMC... I haven't used them and have no idea what it costs, but the registered post by air would be about $30NZ and presumably the same by return, so there would be little change out of $150NZ, given that the weathering itself might be 30-or-so quid in Pounds. I imagine it would take several weeks too.

I find that the kind of packaging used by Hattons works well and have had a couple of returns to the UK all ok damage-wise , and rarely have any damage in my deliveries from Liverpool.

I keep telling myself I must get out my paintbrush and cloth and brush thin grime here and there and wipe it off and have more confidence!

Rob

If you're worried about spoiling your models, you could try weathering powders. The advantage is that if you make a real pig's ear of it, you can wash them off and start again. Most of the NZ model shops I've visited stock some.... in my opinion the MIG range are pretty good and it has a wide range of shadings

Archived