WR Britannia allocations

• RMweb Premium

I have been trying to find out which 'Britannia' class locos were allocated to the Western Region. I know most found their way to Cardiff Canton and to be honest I am not too concerned with shed allocations although it would be useful if anyone knows them.

I would be grateful if anyone has a definitive list they could furnish me with, I have searched the archive with limited success. Thank you in advance

According to the information I have to hand (The Xpress Locomotive Register volume 4) 70015-70029 were all WR locomotives. Initiallly they were variously allocated to Laira, OOC, Canton and one (70022) to Newton Abbot. All were transferred to Canton by the beginning of 1957. Three early transfers away to the LMR were70015, 70017 & 70021 in July of 1958.

• RMweb Gold

Undoubtedly they were 70015 -29 as Lonesome has posted - the names all have a GWR theme, being AFAIK all taken from older locos, possibly broad gauge.

All except one had been names carried by broad gauge locos. The odd one out was 'Flying Dutchman' which was the name given, at various times, to a Paddington/Exeter/Plymouth train - the name was discontinued when the line to the west was narrowed in 1892.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I never ever saw 'Britannias.' on the WR. lines.

However, I gathered that, apart from Cardiff Canton shed,  the ex- GWR. crews, particularly at Laira and at OOC.,  did not like them:

>. - The drivers were accustomed to driving on the RIGHT, or OFF-side,  &

>. - The Firemen finding that the firing required was so different from traditional & GWR. practices.

Quite by chance, as one writes,  I read an extract of a letter written by a. Mr. M. Johnson in 'Back Track.; volume #26., (2012.).  entitled 'Western standards.' in which he wrote ...

'... . The Britannia class suffered from snatching, which could be experienced through the passenger coaches through a fore-and-aft motion.  Also from stopping 'Dead centre.' which required the assistance of another locomotive, and long delays.'.

The writer also criticised the lack of a prototype.

However, I believe that it was not unknown, even for GWR. & 2-cyl. locomotives,  for them to develop a fore-and-aft motion.

But this stopping 'Dead centre.' is a new one for me - was this point true?  If 'YES.' then were the 2-cyl. 'Britannias.' the only class prone to this defect, which surely was not true of 2-cyl. locomotives in general, was it?  Or  is it the repetition of some canard?

:locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

However, I gathered that, apart from Cardiff Canton shed,  the ex- GWR. crews, particularly at Laira and at OOC.,  did not like them:

>. - The Firemen finding that the firing required was so different from traditional & GWR. practices.

Quite by chance, as one writes,  I read an extract of a letter written by a. Mr. M. Johnson in 'Back Track.; volume #26., (2012.).  entitled 'Western standards.' in which he wrote ...

'... . The Britannia class suffered from snatching, which could be experienced through the passenger coaches through a fore-and-aft motion.  Also from stopping 'Dead centre.' which required the assistance of another locomotive, and long delays.'.

The writer also criticised the lack of a prototype.

However, I believe that it was not unknown, even for GWR. & 2-cyl. locomotives,  for them to develop a fore-and-aft motion.

But this stopping 'Dead centre.' is a new one for me - was this point true?  If 'YES.' then were the 2-cyl. 'Britannias.' the only class prone to this defect, which surely was not true of 2-cyl. locomotives in general, was it?  Or  is it the repetition of some canard?

Rather different in reality in some respects. The Brits were disliked by many men at their original sheds and a Laira Driver in particular created a major hoohah about them - the reality of course was down to the left hand drive, the left-handed firing that resulted, and the draughty cabs plus the other minor things on the Standards which caused irritation to various footplatemen.

They went to South Wales because the District Motive Power Supt saw an opportunity and grabbed it with both hands by saying at a meeting that he would take them off the other Districts' hands - he then told Canton to get on with them or else.  They were no more popular with some Canton men than they had been elsewhere but I believe theh majority who worked on them took to them quite well.

The reputedly worst engine for fore & aft motion was the Hawksworth 'Counties' - terrible until the drawbar springing was adjusted thence not quite so bad.  But all GW 2 cylinder engines did it especially when wound well down.

'... . The Britannia class suffered from snatching, which could be experienced through the passenger coaches through a fore-and-aft motion. 

Obviously Mr. Johnson hadn't sat in  the first coach behind a lively 56XX

New to me as well, that's why I thought that was the reason for drive being off-set at 90 degrees for most, if not all, 2 cylinder classes. Unless failed due to valve settings having gone that far out for some unexplained reason - shattered piston valve ?? 

Archived