First routes of Carmine & Cream

I've been trying to find the first routes (if poss) that used the new 1948 nationalised colour of carmine & cream. I can't find anything that states companies, coach types or routes that claim to be the first, or even among the first, that used the new colour scheme. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

The LNER's 'Master Cutler' introduced in 1947 had blood & custard Gresley coaches on 21st July 1949. They must have been early repaints as the blood was taken to just below the windows, which was unusual on this stock. I imagine the LMR's 'Royal Scot' and other key trains were in the new BR colours ready for the start of the 1949 summer timetable.

The Master Cutler was in deed one of the first trains selected to carry the new standard livery. The paint shop was just following the specification laid down as regards the maroon, carmine, red, take your pick was concerned, although the band belowe the cantrail level was omitted. Over on the GN mainline the West Ridding was similary treated as regards the Gresley stock in that formation. The Master Cutler retained its unique stainless steel headboard and like the South Yorkshireman carried deep blue roof boards with white lettering.

The carriage working books of the time refer to the Cutler as a 'Liveried train' and the repainting coincided with the introduction of the Bulleid tavern car and its composite dinning carriage into the formation.

Thanks Pudding, good info.

I'll come clean, I'm looking for a valid excuse to run an Apple Green Peppercorn A2 with Blood & Custard stock. The problem I'm finding is that the LNER green was replaced by BR green (not as nice) and the new coach livery took quite a while to filter through.

Am I being too pedantic?

Am I being too pedantic?

:yes:

Whilst it is always nice to justify oneself in prototypical facts, or at least to have some semblance to factual events, this is as always a model railway and you can run in that fantasy anything you care to. If it is only you who ever sees it then if you want to - do so. If it is for others to judge, I doubt if they care and even if they do then let them show off a bit by telling you that your model is wrong, in their eyes. The facts are of course interesting but what significance do they really play when it comes down to your desire to run trains?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pudding, good info.

I'll come clean, I'm looking for a valid excuse to run an Apple Green Peppercorn A2 with Blood & Custard stock. The problem I'm finding is that the LNER green was replaced by BR green (not as nice) and the new coach livery took quite a while to filter through.

Am I being too pedantic?

I think as Kenton says do as you wish, although there are things that are worth avoiding - Rocket trailing an HST power-car, for example - but your suggestion sounds plausible to most of us who are not well-versed in the actuality of those days, and would look jolly smart. Very, very few folk could point to the evidence that said it never happened, and maybe it did. Just do it and enjoy!

Kenton & Ian, you're both much wiser than me. Thanks.

I bought a kit of the A2 a few weeks ago, intending to get it built for a family friend's 80th birthday - he was a relief Fireman for the LNER and his favourite engine he ever worked was Sugar Palm. To cut a long and ultimately sad story very short, there's no hurry to get it finished any longer.

I thought about selling it firstly but then decided I'll keep it and build it myself as a memorial and tribute. With a short rake of coaches, it would look nice along a shelf on our long bookcase. I didn't want it to look ridiculous so thought I'd enquire. It seems both colour schemes were on the cusp of change so could indeed have happened.

Thanks again.

The date that BR green was chosen for Class A2 Pacifics was probably the date when blood & custard was adopted for corridor coaching stock and so why not an apple green A2 heading blood & custards? I did a front cover for a David Jenkinson book according to his spec and the apple green A3 with British Railways on the tender was hauling blood & custards, teaks and even the Silver jubilee streamlined restaurant car triplet set as returned to service in 1948 in pre-war silver-grey livery!

Incidentally the two A3 locomotives booked to work the Master Cutler, 60052 and 60102 where turned out in the new express pasenger blue. The other neasden and Leicester A3's retained apple green although with British Railways and 60000 numbers just visible through the grime. Some of these locomotives most definitely worked the cutler at this time.

The same stud also worked the South Yorkshireman, with its post war LNER stock in imitation teak livery, the Newcastle-Bournemouth Maunsel stock in SR green and the York Swansea in GWR brown and cream.

Archived