(Mostly Beast) on the Mid Suffolk light railway

Hi,

I seem to remember the Brockford building being painted in a very similar colour During the rebuilding, From what I have read (The Peter Paye book) the MSLR originally painted the buildings "Victorian Brown" the same colour as the Locomotives. The LNER then repainted into the Cream and Brown that we see in your photograph. Thankfully the Volunteers have stayed away from the dull grey the buildings ended their lives.

I think I will dig deeper and see if Hornby can offer any information (Frankly I'm not going to hold my breath!).

Thanks for your information.

Kind regards 

David.

The preserved building did spend some time in an allover brown/maroon scheme, as shown on this picture I took in 2009.....

9-1625.JPG.7f0e02317c31153b640e28b1623d5925.JPG

The previous photo- with the Terrier - was actually taken in 2007 and from looking at some photos I took there in 2021, the building has now reverted to the two-colour scheme.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

Hi, I've been catching up on past postings.

I'm particularly interested in the whole area around Suffolk and regularly visit MSLR. Only by chance whilst scanning a "well known" auction site I came across the "Hornby Wayside Halt" I believe it to be a reasonable representation of a MSLR station such as the reconstruction at Brockford, 

Any one know anything about this Hornby item? Sadly Its going to be a while before I get back to Brockford to ask one of the knowledgeable volunteers. 

Kind Regards 

David.

If  you are thinking of buying one of these Hornby buildings, don't pay Ebay prices for it.  Hattons are currently selling them at around half price.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/98238/hornby_r9821_skaledale_wayside_halt_building/stockdetail

Hi, Do you know, I am planning a GER branch! The MSLR was right in the heart of GER country and for much of its life the GER provided locos in times of need! After the grouping all the locomotives were ex-GE types (J65 and eventually J15) for much of its existence the coaching stock was again ex-GE ending with bogie stock. 

I havent decided on a "location", I have considered a never built line to Shotley. For many years the GER ran a bus service from Ipswich to Shotley. 

However the thought of the MSLR planned line from Westerfield to Laxfield which never existed has started a whole new line of thought! Indeed the Hornby MSLR station would be a good starter for 10!

Many thanks for that suggestion (And tip on supplier) I just need to do a little research on a track layout that will provide some operating interest. Most MSLR stations were very limited, usually just a single siding. There again if the MSLR didn't actually build it who can tell me my plan is not 'prototypical'🤔.

Kind Regards

David.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 15:05, Moxy said:

If  you are thinking of buying one of these Hornby buildings, don't pay Ebay prices for it.  Hattons are currently selling them at around half price.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/98238/hornby_r9821_skaledale_wayside_halt_building/stockdetail

Thank you

Oldest sons great grandmother (M'ga) lived in Mendlesham so I have just bought one in memory of her

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2023 at 17:00, Typeapproval said:

Many thanks for that suggestion (And tip on supplier) I just need to do a little research on a track layout that will provide some operating interest. Most MSLR stations were very limited, usually just a single siding. There again if the MSLR didn't actually build it who can tell me my plan is not 'prototypical'🤔.

Good book on the subject - other suppliers are available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mid-Suffolk-Light-Railway-Peter-Paye/dp/090686741X

• Like 1

Good Morning,

Many thanks for your information and comments so far.

The Peter Paye book is indeed the definitive so far. My children got me a copy a while ago. A very interesting history and  commentary on what was a relatively short lived enterprise. When I read of the need for 'Environmentally friendly means of transport" I wonder if The Great and Good Dr, Beeching was right? To be fair MSLR and some other similar lines went long before his actions.

On the subject of suppliers, The MSLR shop has over time produced several different numbers of the Dapol based open wagon. Sadly they have used one illustration from the Peter Pay book which shows the signage with the "Suffolk" oddly devided. The more usual layout is shown on P22. 

There are several "Local" wagons available that 'could' venture onto MSLR rails so in combination with GER a reasonable goods service is possible. 

On the building produced by Hornby, The basic layout is quite reasonable, with some additional work (Internal walls for the waiting area and a roof prop) I think I shall get away with it (My dexterity for modelling is not what it was before my spinal problem) as a "General appearance" not claiming to be a 100% accurate scale model. 

If truth be told, many of us produce "Might have beens" so I don't feel I'm letting the side down. 

If I horrify the 'Rivet counters' I apologise, One of the finest models I can remember was the Rev Peter Denny's "Buckingham". He achieved the believable  overall appearance of what was after all a fictional location. In the PECO book by Mr Cyril Freezer, he comments that when he first looked at the layout, he "Believed" the locos were Fully lined etc. but on examination it was the overall impression that misled him.

I have looked at Hattons Genesis Coaches, they are In the words of a very good friend "Near Enough!" Not to exquisite standard some modellers can achieve but acceptable.

Equally The 3D printed Locos produced by CDC. The use of a proprietary chassis means those of us with sausages for fingers can actually have something physical and working. (Incidentally the GER livery on CDC locos is something I personally could never manage!).

So! Oxford 10 ton van. CDC E22 (x2), Hattons GER coaches, Various RTR open wagons. Modified Hornby "Wayside Halt" (MSLR look alike) and the usual O&S and I'm in business. Even seen some 3D 'Edwardian figures'!

Please note Many other suppliers/Manufacturers are available. I hasten to add I have no connection to any of those named other than as a customer (Satisfied od otherwise). I remember At the end of many articles in the model railway magazines of my youth the phrase "Usual Disclaimer"! For years I wondered what was being "Disclaimed"! Oh the joy and ignorance of youth.

Kind Regards

David.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

On the subject of suppliers, The MSLR shop has over time produced several different numbers of the Dapol based open wagon. Sadly they have used one illustration from the Peter Pay book which shows the signage with the "Suffolk" oddly devided. The more usual layout is shown on P22. 

There are several "Local" wagons available that 'could' venture onto MSLR rails so in combination with GER a reasonable goods service is possible. 

They started having those "local" wagons produced as a fundraiser for the MSLR when I was a member/volunteer there and I've got 5 of the ones they produced in the liveries of Ipswich Coal Merchants.  I've also got an Ipswich Co-Op one that was produced by another (non-local) limited edition wagon supplier.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi,

Not come across the "Ipswich Co-op" wagon, the nearest was a Hornby "Newmarket"! I shall be picking up a "Fosdick" on my next visit. 

I frequently scan for 'Local" stuff, so far I've collected 4. I have turned down a couple which I would have very much liked, but I refuse to be conned! Its one of the beliefs I have stuck to. The organisations who produce these items do so for the benefit of the organisation. I have unfortunately come across individuals who purchase multiple models with no interest other than self enrichment. I know it takes all sorts.

I worked with a guy who purchased every new release of Vanguard cars. He proudly proclaimed that he never opened the box "They are an investment" not part of a personal collection! I believe the model railway fraternity must have a similar fringe.

Kind regards

David.

17 minutes ago, Typeapproval said:

Hi,

Not come across the "Ipswich Co-op" wagon, the nearest was a Hornby "Newmarket"! I shall be picking up a "Fosdick" on my next visit. 

I frequently scan for 'Local" stuff, so far I've collected 4. I have turned down a couple which I would have very much liked, but I refuse to be conned! Its one of the beliefs I have stuck to. The organisations who produce these items do so for the benefit of the organisation. I have unfortunately come across individuals who purchase multiple models with no interest other than self enrichment. I know it takes all sorts.

I worked with a guy who purchased every new release of Vanguard cars. He proudly proclaimed that he never opened the box "They are an investment" not part of a personal collection! I believe the model railway fraternity must have a similar fringe.

Kind regards

David.

The Co-Op one was produced by "The Old Wagon Works" and was a limited run of 99 models in 2004. I must have picked it up at a show somewhere as I certainly didn't send away for it!

The MSLR issued ones I've got are William H Booth, Beaumont, Mellonie (not the later Mellonie & Goulder), Christie & Son and the Fosdick one. Not sure how many they had produced after that though.

The MSLR ones were all limited issues of 200 models (212 in the case of the Mellonie one), though I'm not sure whether the Beaumont one was actually a MSLR issue as there is no certificate inside the box, unlike the others - perhaps that was actually a Dapol issue.

Hi,

'I'm not sure about the Beaumont, My others are 'W. Pipe',' Mellonie' and 'MOY'. As I said Fosdick next visit. I have seen the Mellonie and Goulder but one of the "Not at that Price" wagons!

Kind regards

David.

Hi,

Being a man of action, I have decided to adopt the plan I made on Saturday. I've ordered the Hornby Wayside Halt, The Hattons GER coaches are due December/January so I have plenty of time to get the track layout etc.sorted. The CDC Loco bodies in GER livery  are available to order.  The Edwardian figures are also available to order. 

The location I have decided on is "Akenfield" on the "Westerfield to Kenton" line. This line in my world was run from day one by the GER, thus eliminating the need for MSLR locomotives and coaches.

An alternative time period would be LNER and probably easier to source RTR.  

The Hornby J15 sadly requires a lot of work to backdate to GER time period. Some brilliant examples are to be found on RM web. Unfortunately they weren't in use on the MSLR until very late LNER, early BR days.

The Hornby Wayside Halt is finished in the original MSLR Victorian Brown. To make it suitable for LNER days it will need repainting to the Cream/Brown scheme and latterly Dull Grey, this being the scheme the buildings finished their days.

In answer to "Johnofwessex", personally I don't rate the Hornby coaches. I don't know if the LNER Hattons Genesis Coaches will be available again as the first production were all sold, so If its the LNER period (Which was the time J15 was used on MSLR) It will be Hornby I'm afraid. The J15 was the last loco on the line even during the "British Railways" era.

I hope I won't offend if I deliver a regular update of progress with the layout.

Kind regards

David.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Been a while since I added anything, The station building is partly modified, Corrugated roof rather than the plain thing that came out of the Hornby box. Internal walls to the 'Waiting Area' with a central roof support. A 'Gents' added. After much hair pulling I managed to mix a 99.9% colour match to be used on the gents and the 'parcel shed'. The basic framework for the platform is also well into production, A wooden frame covered in 'Art Board' well painted with Shellac and edged with Slaters brick plasticard. I have been experimenting with colour mixing to produce "Suffolk white" for the brickwork. (Please can anybody confirm that the platform was indeed this colour? its virtually impossible to discern the colour from the illustrations in either of the MSLR books). 

As a practical start, I constructed three "Transportable" baseboards in well ventilated marine ply, The staton board 72" x 18" and a country board 48" x 18'" with a four track storage board of similar size. Luckily I have a workshop for the carpentry and a very forgiving 'domestic authority' so I can to real modelling in the conservatory.

Nearly 50 years ago I planned to build a model railway in the loft of our first house. Life as usual conspired to frustrate (The old "Man Plans and God Laughs!) my ambition. A job that took me to Sweden and the Netherlands, three very active children (Dancing, Swimming, Gymnastics, Football to name just some). Does focus the mind away from personal hobbies. 

At the time of this first dream, my wife pandered to what I'm sure at the time she considered an odd thing for a grown man to do, and purchased yards of "GraFar" OO flexible track. In my humble opinion better looking than PECO. Sadly as we know 'Graham Farish' as was, has been absorbed into the Bachmann empire and now is totally N gauge. I did manage to find some OO 'FORMOWAY' points though the cost badly upset my accountant! (Wife, you know what the say about accountants, "They know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!).

The basic track plan is down, the 'Station area' laid, at 7' extending onto the 'country board' and the four track storage area laid and wired.

So I think I can say I have actually made a start this time. 

Kind Regards

David.

PS. My Wife genuinely is an Accountant 🤔.

• Like 1