The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Men, Hobbies and War!

Tony_S

The article is about a game called Warhammer..

To quote the last line of the article..

"It's absolutely the part of the brain that made other generations make model trains."

I suppose it is like our typical - "Thomas the Tank engine fights evil invading diesels from the mainland themed layouts?"

That the author had in mind :)

I'm not a fan of contemporary games but then again I suppose I'm an old you know what. I used to spend hours playing those board games from Avalon Hill and SPI when I should have been studying, in the 70s. I've always been fascinated by military history and these games allowed one to engage in the famous battles and campaigns and play around with what ifs. I also enjoyed the Talon Soft games for PC. These were reminiscent of the old board games without the tedious math and having to rearrange those stacks that tended to fall over. About the only games I play these days are those from the Total War franchise. The games offered by the likes of PS3 etc. leave me cold.

My current battle is with an Airfix 4F, trying to arm wrassle it into something reasonable before the Bachmann model drops.

John

As an aside does anyone on here play "Harpoon"? It's the only computer game I got addicted to...

Best, Pete.

I used to play Harpoon (the non-computer version). I have played a scenario with Larry Bond (the designer of the game and more lately an author) as the referee. I never really got into the computer version, although I probably still have it somewhere.

Adrian

Speaking of warlike computer games, I seem to remember a 1980s Royal Navy communications system (I forget the name) which was installed aboard all warships and RFA's and seemed to be a cross between a telex and a basic PC (such as a Spectrum).

Anyway, on one ship, the lads in the radio shack being the busy people that they are (ahem!), got bored, and to ease the long periods of inaction they managed to read a book about computer programming, and decided, for a lark, to see if they could create a 'game' on this military comms system.

That they did, and the first game to appear was called 'Sink the Sheffield', where you had to guide an exocet missile around various obstacles and then sink the aforementioned ship.

This naturally spread around the fleet like wildfire!

All in very bad taste of course, but nobody was offended, as black humour was quite acceptable back then. The modern day phenomena of those who are completely unaffected, yet 'suffering' righteous indignation seemingly for the sake of it, had yet to hit the armed forces - in many ways it still hasn't!

Guest Max Stafford

Especially if some git from Aldershot wandered into the NAAFI singing some ditty about 'cabbageheads'. :derisive:

Dave.

Archived