RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

No Jeff, I'll stick to the Derbyshire Dales, its local enough for an excuse to do a bit of research, beside I don't want to be constantly compared to you and your track laying and Hill Building skills.

I haven't been on the Ecclesbourne Valley line from Wirksworth yet and that's 9 Miles long, or the Peak Rail from Darley Dale to Rowsley and Matlock, and one of our Club Members is a volunteer up there.

Whatever happens it will be Ex LMS / Midland over that wonderful Viaduct.

Bodgit :scratchhead:

Oh, it isn't letting me reply...

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" is prefaced by

7P's (Proper Previous Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance)

In other words, the more planning one is able to do, usually, the better the plan will work with more options. We are told to spend something like 1/3rd the time that we have to create a decent plan. So, Jeff is well on his way to satisfying the 7P rule !

(now, if Rob will post a 7P, we will all be happy. I think a nice Brit would be fine...here's a wheel from one

7161328070_5c160f8184_o.jpg

britwheel2 by Peach James, on Flickr

James

Edited by peach james

No Jeff, I'll stick to the Derbyshire Dales, its local enough for an excuse to do a bit of research, beside I don't want to be constantly compared to you and your track laying and Hill Building skills.

I haven't been on the Ecclesbourne Valley line from Wirksworth yet and that's 9 Miles long, or the Peak Rail from Darley Dale to Rowsley and Matlock, and one of our Club Members is a volunteer up there.

Whatever happens it will be Ex LMS / Midland over that wonderful Viaduct.

Bodgit :scratchhead:

Hi Andy, Jeff, All,

Aha! The wonderful Ecclesbourne Valley line!

Thats right back in home territory for me! As a child I used to live in a cottage up in t'ills near Windley so this was my nearest line. I saw (I think it was) 56 001 on test on this line way back in 1976 and plenty of other stone traffic up at Wirksworth. Going further back, my maternal grandparents home overlooked Hindley's timber yard at Duffield and was more or less right in the confluence of the branch as it left the station area.

Ooh! I'm beginning to feel a twinge of nostalgia now!

Cheers,

John E.

PS Edge is a very Derbyshire name, I believe!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, it isn't letting me reply...

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" is prefaced by

7P's (Proper Previous Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance)

In other words, the more planning one is able to do, usually, the better the plan will work with more options.  We are told to spend something like 1/3rd the time that we have to create a decent plan.  So, Jeff is well on his way to satisfying the 7P rule !

(now, if Rob will post a 7P, we will all be happy.  I think a nice Brit would be fine...here's a wheel from one

(apparently, the paste option isn't working for me...blast)

James

And there was naive old me thinking 7P was a loco power class!

Thanks for that, James - I like it. And it is very true.

The original KL was around 2 years in the planning, but only got "properly" fine-tuned when I put the plan on here for expert scrutiny. It can sometimes be frustrating to see a cherished plan being "savaged" (in the nicest possible way, of course), but it certainly catalyses progress!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy, John....

Your last posts just go to show the power of railway modelling beyond the layout room. Looking for inspiration can take us all over the place, including evocative memories of people and places gone past.

What a great hobby this is!!

Jeff

Jeff, I need to stumble across another of your legendary waymarkers, aka intra-thread index posts (ITI).  

I realised something was up when I clocked one exchange between you and Bodgit, but all I could see quickly was reference to you showing a prospective purchaser - YIKES! - around the EMPTY railway room.

Having been largely away for about n weeks, I'm now in a state of recoil and shock.

• RMweb Premium

Morning 'CHARD. Good to hear from you....

Apologies for causing you anguish! I thought it was because you'd seen the photo posted in post # 10231!!

Yes, KL has vanished - literally. If you look at the last few pages, and post # 10348 in particular (previous page), you'll see what's planned when my house move is sorted in 2014.

In the meantime it'll be relatively quiet on here. Please submit any of your usual pearls of wisdom!

Jeff

Jeff, I think the most frightening post is THE LAST POST as played by you on my recent visit to KL on the day before its demise. Post 9861 on page 395, is it really only three weeks and look at the number of pages and post since then.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's pretty amazing isn't it?

3 weeks, no building, a demolition job, a few plans, 500 posts and about 13000 views. Amazing.

Maybe people enjoy a good sob story or have a morbid fascination with the destruction?! Lol.

3 weeks ago - the coffee was on and you'd just arrived...

Jeff

Ready for a second coffee now its 10.08, hhaha

Just going to Sainsburys to get some bits and pieces (Hey I could right a song about that,; I;m in pieces, bits and pieces, hahhaha) Oh shut up.

Then back for coffee and a Beigium Bun today and then some more packing.

Bodgit the Bun Man. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Ready for a second coffee now its 10.08, hhaha

Just going to Sainsburys to get some bits and pieces (Hey I could right a song about that,; I;m in pieces, bits and pieces, hahhaha) Oh shut up.

Then back for coffee and a Beigium Bun today and then some more packing.

Bodgit the Bun Man. :no:

I don't understand how you cope with such a hectic lifestyle, Andy!

But I'm sure drinking all that coffee and scoffing those buns beats going to the gym!!  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Agh, that's better, and an Indian meal is on its way.

Don't be fooled by the quietness on here, Jason, Jeff and I are all busy in different ways on our projects, House moves and planning.

It sounds like Jason is content to sit and paint his signals and leave the Loco weathering until after the move.

Jeff is pondering his next task, AND IT WONT BE track building or Loco building etc, but it may be some small jobs to keep the brain ticking over.

Whilst I on the other hand am desperate for some paperwork to confirm that our purchase is going ahead as planned, and in the meantime I'm doodling away with plans and have passed them over to Jeff to survey and pass judgment on.

So lots going on and more to come soon.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Agh, that's better, and an Indian meal is on its way.

Don't be fooled by the quietness on here, Jason, Jeff and I are all busy in different ways on our projects, House moves and planning.

It sounds like Jason is content to sit and paint his signals and leave the Loco weathering until after the move.

Jeff is pondering his next task, AND IT WONT BE track building or Loco building etc, but it may be some small jobs to keep the brain ticking over.

Whilst I on the other hand am desperate for some paperwork to confirm that our purchase is going ahead as planned, and in the meantime I'm doodling away with plans and have passed them over to Jeff to survey and pass judgment on.

So lots going on and more to come soon.

Very true. I'm having fun with Andy's plans. He's come up with a nice layout idea and the viaduct, needless to say, is the star of the show.

Great fun - especially when we get to build our plans!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very little action on here today. It's my birthday (oh no, another increment in the age-count.... hey, maybe I'm 22 now!), it's a lovely day and I'm going to do some gardening. Yes, gardening in mid-December...

I'll keep an eye out for the usual catholic (with a small "c") mix of stuff on here later!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi mate, hope you are having a good Birthday, I'm am about to SPOIL IT by sending you a PM.

hahhaha

Bodge :sungum:

PM read and duly noted. No problem! It certainly wasn't a spoiler - it was a good "read"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday Jeff. I see you share it with Sir Humphry Davy, which is perhaps appropriate.

I wish I was half as distinguished as Sir Humphry Davy! I'd have loved to have been in his lab when he discovered potassium.

Science in those days was both exciting and very dangerous!

Thanks for the birthday wishes, folks.

I referred to my postmen earlier. both have been keeping tabs on KLs progress and were stunned when I showed them the empty bunker today.

It's my experience that almost everybody is genuinely interested in model railways if you approach them the right way. It's certainly motivational when so many people take an interest.

As for the birthday - no cake, but too much food! now I know how Bodge feels after his Belgian bun and Cinnamon cake at "elevensies"!!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Same line as yesterday - virtually - just looking in to see if anything's been said. Not likely since I'm doing nothing - except looking at Andy's revised plans....

Ironically, Hattons rang me today. The 2 A4s I pre-ordered from the Great Gathering - way back on Jan 1st - are now on their way (Union of SA and Dwight D). I'll have to chip them and run them on the viaduct. Oh, happy days!

Jeff

Same line as yesterday - virtually - just looking in to see if anything's been said. Not likely since I'm doing nothing - except looking at Andy's revised plans....

Ironically, Hattons rang me today. The 2 A4s I pre-ordered from the Great Gathering - way back on Jan 1st - are now on their way (Union of SA and Dwight D). I'll have to chip them and run them on the viaduct. Oh, happy days!

Jeff

Jeff, Pop down to your local model shop and buy a circle of Peco or Hornby 4th Radius and set it up on the Kitchen floor and just let them run in.

My other mate Jeff, (Binney) has a piece of ply about 3.5ft square, battened around the sides and with a circle of 3rd radius track on it and just leaves locos to run for an hour or so to run in.

He has a two wire terminal block so he can change it from DC to DCC in a couple of moments. New out of the box get a good running in and then after the chip is fitted a second running in.

I hope to do something similar in my new Potting Shed. :locomotive: :locomotive: one day :O

ENJOY,