RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

You have a vivid imagination, Rob.

But Southern!

C'mon, Harry Stickleback would have bren standing proud in front of his Jubilee or Britannia...

Bit fishy was our Harry....

Jeff

Related to Richard Trevithick, I'm not surprised that he found his true vocation keeping time on 12-total fully loaded trains in Kent and Sussex, having fallen out with his family from 'oop they'   (note to self; don't ever try to imitate Geordie-speak)

He had planned to apply for a job on the Kirkby Stephen route but the long hours on the Southern after 1939 did him in and he retired in 1944, having once bought a train up from Dover with 16 fully loaded carriages, and brought his 'Schools' into London Bridge only 4 minutes late, having been held by signals for 11 minutes at Tonbridge.  His fireman got his payback for the infamous smoke incident in the shed portrait incident of 1938.

• Like 2

here now to bring some sanity to the thread is a...

Britannia which was at the end of its days, like nearly all others, a Carlisle engine...   familiar driver, must be related to our Harry....

p.s. this is a Hattons-weathered engine, except the lower firebox is stolen from a Clan pic I did in Oct; colour-wise at least.

post-7929-0-14425000-1388115874_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Oh, bloomn' heck you two- you know about my smoke show?

7998486096_7012e83666.jpg
IMG_1525 by Peach James, on Flickr

Yes, I am the responsible party...there was a reason why though...here goes:

The original fuel control valves for each sprayer (3/boiler) were "hydromotors" (hydraulic operated, spring close, slow opening fast closing valves).  They opened over about 25 seconds (it was adjustable), and closed basically, under the k of a spring (fast).  They were getting unsupported by manufacturer, like everything else on a 43 year old ship.  You should hear what Weir say when we want pumps rebuilt...anyway, the fuel control system therefore had 20+- seconds to adjust and maintain air over fuel, to prevent smoke shows.  They were replaced with air operated solenoid valves that opened in about 3 seconds to full open.  Here I am, at what "should" be a 1 and 1 fire speed, and the steam pressure starts dropping off.  Fuel demand rises (to make more steam, add more heat...), and I eventually decide that I need 2/1 or 2/2 fires (2 boilers, so we can fire odd #'s of fires, but don't normally).  I pop the fire in, then look at where the fuel demand is...at about 80%.  I look over at the EOOW at the time (now CERA on the ship) and say...well, stand by for phone calls, because I just made a cloud of epic proportions.  Sure enough, literally before I get it out of my mouth, the phone starts ringing.

The best of it was we were off the coast of Hawai'i, and it was movie night...

James

• Like 1

Come on Rob, Southern Locos on the KL thread, you'll cause a revolt, well most of us are pretty revolting at the best of times.

Just as a side, when I was about 15 my Dad made me go to the Methodist Church with him on a Sunday (try getting Kids today to do what Dad says at that age) the Minister was Richard Trevithicks Great Grand son.

Other pics are also really good mate, I must get a decent Brit, I took my very old but chipped one up to Jeff's but it needs a proper run ONE DAY.

Bodge :sungum:

Hi all,

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I remember the Brit's very well, I am torn between them and the Jubilee's as my all time favourite, I recall late in the day Owen Glendower had her nameplates removed and someone painted the names on with a lined surround, unfortunately they spelt it wrong different from the original as in the Welsh version 'Owain'. Often wonder if it was a deliberate correction by a ex-pat Welshman?

I have 5 Brit's and 5 Jubilee's so my indecision remains final on my favourite it seems :secret:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Funny - I've just posted in Dent while you are here.

Mike - you have just gone up in my estimation.... I love Brits and Jubilees - I've 5/2 respectively though only 3 Brits are chipped. Both great models, too.

Jeff

Ps. New Bachmann Jub Victoria should be out shortly.

Funny - I've just posted in Dent while you are here.

Mike - you have just gone up in my estimation.... I love Brits and Jubilees - I've 5/2 respectively though only 3 Brits are chipped. Both great models, too.

Jeff

Ps. New Bachmann Jub Victoria should be out shortly.

Hi Jeff,

You're here - I'm there and were both on the wrong side of the Pennines depending on your viewpoint.

A Jubilee (45629 Straits Settlements) was my introduction to the proper world of railways so they may just be slightly ahead.

Having bought a pile of s/h weathered models from Hattons before Christmas I'm beginning to wonder if it was wise; one appears to have received a royal shaking up courtesy mail/air/NZ Post courier  10 days of being kicked and vibrated in a standard Hornby pack (unmarked, undamaged)  engine lost chimney,  some cab glazing, both front buffers (one bent back into shape ok) three steps of the strong super-glued-at-factory type broken in half/twisted, off, front steam pipe off and lost, rear of coal bunker off, clipped back on.  Can fix all except cab front window and the step which broke in half, probably, eventually.

Can't blame Hattons, packaging was ok., strong box, foam packing, all snug, no damage at all to box, engine is permanently coupled and DCC fitted, so factory box foam insert was modified, not dead tight but engine-tender could not easily move, and can't blame Royal Mail or NZ Post as box was unmarked and delivered in 9 days from Liverpool AT THIS TIME OF YEAR TOO with great weather for flying. And £8.50 tracked and signed-for delivery..

Just one of those things.

As advertised, below

post-7929-0-69799700-1388179418.jpg

as received, below

post-7929-0-67463800-1388179519.jpg

post-7929-0-80927900-1388179589.jpg

Of course I could do what most do, and BLAME Hornby!

Out with the glue, tweezers, and a steady hand methinks...  really should post this a moaning thread somewhere but I just wanted to bleat...

Maybe I will try to repair it, but it's quite daunting with only your left hand, and no good balance in a wheelchair (with a mid-chest T5 spinal break), it's a challenge certainly, but tomorrow I am 63 and I want to learn to be CRABID.  So I put this in the Hornby section...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80253-sh-Hornby-transit-brackets-needed/

Actually I imagine that as soon as I start to repair it, I will forfeit a claim on Hattons (and them a possible claim on the couriers)    and I see the top of the front of the tender was broken off too... I wondered what the curved black strip was. 

Maybe they will put better packing around s/h stuff when it's in modified factory foam? 

Actually I AM crabid.  Will have an afternoon doze.  Far too warm here. 18C....   grrrr.

Hi Rob,

Its all part and 'PARCEL' of this hobby, its not uncommon to look at a brand new model and find fault, think on the positive side - its a little bit of real modelling work and it will probably be better than the original when finished.

I have a WD (Bachmann) and a Brush Type 4 (Heljan) which have inexplicably stopped working but too busy building Dent to look at these, it is annoying because neither have done a great mileage just a bit of pottering on my old layout. The tools will be out once I complete a circuit and see something running.

• RMweb Premium

First post on here today, so good to see you've made progress Rob.

I've just spent a pleasant couple of hiurs looking through a collection of photos of the KVWR and S&C, taken in the early 80s, by the excellent photographer Paul Richardson. Some wonderful pics - especially the winter shots with massive exhaust plumes.

Well worth checking out.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Happy continuing festivities, all.

Glad you're getting your loco back together, Rob. Just what we need on here - that persevering spirit that keeps us coming back for more.

I'm hoping to take my Christmas railway presies out of their boxes, tomorrow, and take some photos. Quiz on GWRd, if you like that sort of thing. :jester:

Polly

Thank you All, I was impressed, Hattons replied to my enquiry about returns in less than 12 hours! Polite, apologetic, willing to fix things, inasmuch they can, or refund.

But I have continued to fix the model so I doubt it will go back...

Nice to see some inspiring pics Jeff, are these in a book or website?

anyway here is that model again, more repairs, mostly with editing... that's the factory close coupling, allows it go go around curves of 1 mile radius...

post-7929-0-55149100-1388270031.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you All, I was impressed, Hattons replied to my enquiry about returns in less than 12 hours! Polite, apologetic, willing to fix things, inasmuch they can, or refund.

But I have continued to fix the model so I doubt it will go back...

Nice to see some inspiring pics Jeff, are these in a book or website?

anyway here is that model again, more repairs, mostly with editing... that's the factory close coupling, allows it go go around curves of 1 mile radius...

attachicon.gif4MT_Hattons_11a_r800.jpg

Hi Rob / Jeff, where are these?

Anyway Rob, keep persevering it looks amazing mate.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob.

The photos were in a book that was first published in 1985. It's packed away at the moment as I'm just about to head home. Will post details tomorrow.

Re. Hattons. Some people see them as merely "box shifters". Whether or not that is the case, I've always found them polite and very helpful.

It looks like you've done a decent job with the model. In a few weeks - after you've got another 6 models - you'll have given up worrying about it!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob / Jeff, where are these?

Anyway Rob, keep persevering it looks amazing mate.

Andy :sungum:

Sorry Andy - it was just a book I was referring to - no pics on here to look at (more's the pity).

Jeff

Morning All ,  Bright and Breezy are we?

oops sorry,  

Here's a BR Standard 4MT of the S&C type, even if 75005 didn't venture to those lofty heights.  I haven't checked, but it is in the condition of most locomotives who graced that heroic and much-loved line, having been cleaned without regard to cost..... 

post-7929-0-82954900-1388295021_thumb.jpg

Edit;  Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton,  is almost S&C...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Still a nice Engine, I don't look at Cab Numbers, if I like a loco I will have it and RUN IT.

Bodge :sungum:

I agree with that philosophy. If it's possible to find a loco with appropriate numbers then I'll do so. But changing the numbers - if needed - is a job "for later"....

.... Running the damn thing comes first!

Jeff

• Like 1