RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

No photos of locos on the viaduct today. Contrary to expectation it's grey and showery up here with not a sign of sun or blue sky.

I've freed the viaduct from surrounding clutter and I've even taken 5 locos into the bunker - to be revealed when I post the pics. I'll take them when the sun shines and I'm not going to get everything wet!

Jeff

Your right about not getting your new purchases to wet, after all we dont want a wet FELL to fail due to dampness in its starter motor, or your NEW BLUE PULLMAN to fade in the rain, hhhahhaaaaahahaaa

BOD                GIT :O :o :O

Ge in here NOW :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:                                 :scared:  :stinker: 

• RMweb Premium

Not a model viaduct, but Sofia and I went for a walk earlier as the sun popped out. We drove a couple of miles up the hill behind Bingley to Cullingworth and then walked along the old railway line (Queensbury to Keighley GN route) which includes the rather beautiful Hewenden Viaduct.

Cullingworth003_zps7cda947f.jpg

Cullingworth007_zps65c4f1a9.jpg

Back in Cullingworth, I also took a shot of the smaller viaduct through town because the weathering of the stone is just.........

Cullingworth013_zps2f72e7ba.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Lovely viaducts, Jason, nicely crapped up weathered too! And even a bit of sunshine....

Excuses, the sun was out by 3 ower 't moors... and Jason found some as well...

Eeee bar gum.... the sun has set and the sky is clearing from the south. Bit dark for photos now, methinks.

But then, of course, it was bound to be sunny for you and Jason - it tallies with the assumption that the sun ALWAYS shines in Yorkshire!!

Jeff

The Southerners haven't used all the Sun up then,

Great Viaduct pic Jason, that's at least 3 of mine put end on so a scale 18 or so feet in OO. :scared: :scared:

So Jeff, get them builders to leave a hole in tend wall for yon main line ta go froo. :stinker:

Sunshine in Yorkshire my ars*, Rob's photoshopped it for him. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  hahhaha

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Great viaduct photos there Jason.

I just can't understand why we haven't got anything like that in Lincolnshire,

Wot about that lovely viaduct in Little Bytham, you know - near the foot of Stoke Bank that Mallard went over at a fair lick in 1938!?!

Not stone, I grant you but lovely blue (engineers) brick.

Used to have a pretty good pub literally under one of the arches, too!

I know that area as maternal Grandmother & other relatives lived around there.

Anyway, this Yorkshere sunshine - I always thought it twas of the wet variety!

Cheers from a lovely sunlit Lancashire (you know, from the night-time sun!) by an ex-Derbyshire bod!!!

Ha, ha, ha, haaargh!

John E.

• Like 1

Jeff, morning mate, great news, I have just seen the weather forecast and for your area on Wednesday it will be raining all day, so you can get the Viaduct out in the garden for some real S & C pics, hahhaaa.

Has the 40 arrived yet, it will be interesting to hear the sounds on that one, its been so long coming but I'm sure will be worth the wait.

Your now like me I expect, so many boxes with books in and you cant get many in a box as they are so heavy. Then I keep moving mine as I try to find other things.

Have you taken the wall display cabinets down yet and boxed up the Loco Fleet yet, or is that going to be a last min thing?

I have been looking at Greenhouse heaters as I dont want the tempreture to drop too much in the Potting Shed, NEW DEN.

Catch up later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

It's lovely and sunny up here this morning - very frosty, too. But I'll give it another couple of hours and go and take those pics on the viaduct.... Should be enough for a couple of posts. It'll make a change from all these words and it'll cheer Chip up!

No sign of the 40 yet, and I see from both Hattons and Kernow that it hasn't arrived in stock yet.

As for the loco fleet. The cabinets will come off the walls right at the end as it's the safest place for them. The locos will go into their original boxes about a month before the move. I don't mind doing that with the later releases, but I hate putting models back into the crappy old-style polystyrene trays.

If you get yourself an oil heater you'll easily be able to maintain temperature in your shed. Mine keeps the bunker very cosy, though I expect it'll be about 5C out there at the moment - I've only been in once (to dig the viaduct out) in the last fortnight.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful photos Jeff, that viaduct is a masterpiece - glad we can fully appreciate it in natural sunlight!

You're making me want to build one now, sadly the land 'round here is too flat so I can't get away with it.

And just to think I seem to recall you weren't sure whether you'd be able to scratch build one originally - now take another look!

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful photos Jeff, that viaduct is a masterpiece - glad we can fully appreciate it in natural sunlight!

You're making me want to build one now, sadly the land 'round here is too flat so I can't get away with it.

And just to think I seem to recall you weren't sure whether you'd be able to scratch build one originally - now take another look!

Thanks Jam. July 2012, when I took the plunge to build the viaduct, seems a long time ago.

I must admit, and regular readers will know this, that I wish I had room to build a larger one. I initially pencilled in a 9 arch variant for KL2, but it would be made at the expense of Jason's cherished road underbridge and I don't think I could justify it.

It's the first time I've photographed models in natural lighting. It's certainly more pleasant than in the bunker!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jam. July 2012, when I took the plunge to build the viaduct, seems a long time ago.

I must admit, and regular readers will know this, that I wish I had room to build a larger one. I initially pencilled in a 9 arch variant for KL2, but it would be made at the expense of Jason's cherished road underbridge and I don't think I could justify it.

It's the first time I've photographed models in natural lighting. It's certainly more pleasant than in the bunker!

Jeff

Well, can you believe it's THREE years since I started planning The Old Road - no, me neither!

I hate a very common word in railway modelling - compromise. A 9 arch viaduct would've also been superb, but if you're getting two bridges in  by having a smaller viaduct, than why not!

If there's one thing I need to start thinking about - it's how to paint/weather buildings. I've always been to scared to do it.

And as for natural lighting, yes, it makes every model look better (somehow!) I guess it's the natural shadows and tone of the light?

• RMweb Premium

I don't like using flash when taking photos - it kills shadows and flattens everything....AWFUL.

Natural lighting, with shadows gives so much more depth.

The conditions this morning were a bit extreme due to the low sun angle. Then some mist rolled in, so I rushed to get pics before the sun disappeared. Needn't have worried - a lovely day.

The 6 arch viaduct still has some bits of plaster on it from when it was encased in the hillside. I've not cleaned it yet, and it'll eventually need a touch-up. I'm with you on the painting and weathering. When I did the viaduct I was crapping myself that I'd mess the whole thing up. But I've found that - for bridges, viaducts etc with the Slaters sheets, it's hard to make a mess - even if you try! I used several weak acrylic washes - I know others prefer enamels - but if I made it too dark, it was easy - with a very weak white or grey wash - to lighten it up again. You can go on ad infinitum!!

At the end of the day we have to remember - we're SUPPOSED to enjoy doing this!!

Jeff

Arfernoon Jeff, what cracking pics, I'm half tempted to get mine out in the Garden and do something similar, trouble is I cant get mine around the back garden on my own, and the front is just a Drive and stoned area so not very pretty.

That Brit is the Dogs, they are such handsome beasts and weathered like yours look so good.

The stonework on your viaduct looks better outside, will you have a window in the new Gaff for natural light to come in? I will I hope, and have blinds inside for when I'm NOT in there.

Thanks for brightening up my lunch time with some cracking pics mate, Cheers.

Edited by Andrew P

Morning Andy.

It's lovely and sunny up here this morning - very frosty, too. But I'll give it another couple of hours and go and take those pics on the viaduct.... Should be enough for a couple of posts. It'll make a change from all these words and it'll cheer Chip up!

No sign of the 40 yet, and I see from both Hattons and Kernow that it hasn't arrived in stock yet.

As for the loco fleet. The cabinets will come off the walls right at the end as it's the safest place for them. The locos will go into their original boxes about a month before the move. I don't mind doing that with the later releases, but I hate putting models back into the crappy old-style polystyrene trays.

If you get yourself an oil heater you'll easily be able to maintain temperature in your shed. Mine keeps the bunker very cosy, though I expect it'll be about 5C out there at the moment - I've only been in once (to dig the viaduct out) in the last fortnight.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, re the Boxes, what a pain they are, the Hornby ones will NOT take a loco with the brake gear on and so the box needs cutting away at the bottom, also the front Steam pipes and steps may catch and so more of the box needs trimming. Locos that originally came as Loco and Tender and needed connecting together with a plug will need disconnecting, or again the box cutting away, if you have any of these ring Hornby and ask for a connector tweezers, they are free and will fit both Bachmann and Hornby plugs.

Also if you have a Hornby Loco with a pair of transportation brackets under the Chassis such as the Black 5's ensure you re-fit these for transportation. I had a call the other day from Hornby when I was in a friends shop and a loco had been returned without these fitted and it resulted in the front buffers being smashed off and damage underneath.

Moving on to Bachmann and I'm afraid its the same old story but not quite so bad. The new plastic boxes are great, except that you can't re fit a Loco with front pipes and steps, you need to hack away at the plastic box to sit the loso back in, also be wary of cab doors, some boxes have a high side that intrudes where the cab doors are so some will need trimming.

In short, neither Bachmann or Hornby have given any thought to re fitting their Locos into boxes once they have any of the details fitted and I think that is a great shame and something that both need to address in the future.

• Like 1