Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Two TVs, two Hi-fis.  Does this mean as one brother is watching/listening the other turns his sound up to drown the first one out, so the second brother does the same, so the first one tweaks his up a bit and so on and so on?

(Will you need your dad there as a referee?  :jester: )

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for being absent for so long today. No phone internet connection - very frustrating!

Chris - your scenario is a classic case of positive feedback. But no

need for dad - me and brother are both very civilised!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Quite right, Don. However, I don't mind some of the jobs - especiallt the work in the garden. There's something very satisfying from seeing structures rise out of nothing.

Currently listening to Coldplay, waiting for the BT engineer to connect me to the broadband network....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Quite right, Don. However, I don't mind some of the jobs - especiallt the work in the garden. There's something very satisfying from seeing structures rise out of nothing.

Currently listening to Coldplay, waiting for the BT engineer to connect me to the broadband network....

Jeff

Good luck with that! BT Openreach not covering themselves in glory these days.

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with that! BT Openreach not covering themselves in glory these days.

Of course, the farce of the thing is that I'm paying for SKY broadband....

I was with BT, but the overall Sky package including TV and internet made a switch worth doing. All the companies claim they are faster/better than each other, though they all use the same fibre/cable. I had a good connection at my old house. The new one seems just as good.

So yes, I'm now back online.... Yippee!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I know it's NOT exciting - but it keeps Bodge amused. So here's a photo of the bunker, beautifully landscaped. OOPS, wrong script....

Here's the bunker this morning before the next batch of boxes/exercise machines etc arrives.

There WILL be a layout in there in a year or so's time - honest!

post-13778-0-20618700-1404128788_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Bit to do there then Jeff - starting with a ceiling or maybe do the extra wiring before you add the ceiling (it's much easier than way I found although I did a lot of it as the carpenters were installing the ceiling, young fellah like you could easily do the two jobs in tandem ;) ).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bit to do there then Jeff - starting with a ceiling or maybe do the extra wiring before you add the ceiling (it's much easier than way I found although I did a lot of it as the carpenters were installing the ceiling, young fellah like you could easily do the two jobs in tandem ;) ).

Mike - I just LOVE the encouragement!

And "bit to do there" is a slight understatement....!!

All I know at the mo is that the conversion will be done a lot faster than at the start of KL. And yes, I may well fit the ceiling first - I did it the other way round last time. I'm sure you'll be your usual mine of ideas!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff the bunker will look better with kl in there. It looks good and it will be better when the garden is done keep them pics coming

Mark

Oh look at all that lovely, lovely space :)

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on getting the keys and starting the move!

My, the bunker looks big!

Roll on next year, eh?

Cheers,

John E.

Cheers lads!

I was thinking (I do that every now and then....).... What else would a garage be used for other than a model railway? A games room, maybe - but FAR too good for a blasted car!

Working space after the walls are fitted should come in at around 5m x 4.7m (about 17' x 15'), so looking good!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Jeff. Don't worry about the boxes of junk you can use them to rest the baseboards on. If you need a lot of lights run the cables before doing the ceiling and walls. If you need sockets I would reccomend a small number controlled by one master switch (with a bright neon to show its on) that way leave the bunker one switch off and you haven't left any irons or point motors on.

Don

edit you may need power for the garden so a separate circuit through the wall to an outside box. It should be done by a 'professional' I am a qualified electrical engineer but don't have the bits of paper that says I can wire up places. With an old house you can just do it and claim it was here when I moved in. That wont work on an old house.

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Jeff. Don't worry about the boxes of junk you can use them to rest the baseboards on. If you need a lot of lights run the cables before doing the ceiling and walls. If you need sockets I would reccomend a small number controlled by one master switch (with a bright neon to show its on) that way leave the bunker one switch off and you haven't left any irons or point motors on.

Don

edit you may need power for the garden so a separate circuit through the wall to an outside box. It should be done by a 'professional' I am a qualified electrical engineer but don't have the bits of paper that says I can wire up places. With an old house you can just do it and claim it was here when I moved in. That wont work on an old house.

A lot depends on the way your supply comes into the garage Jeff (I'm sure Don will agree) and I was advised to go for a consumer unit which is exactly what I did.  The armoured cable from the house - which was provided and wired by not fully connected at the house end when the house was built - runs underground to the garage but enters through the soffit and then through the roof space to come down inside the dividing wall between the garage bit and 'the room'. The electrician then connected it, via the consumer unit, into the garage circuits which provide for lighting on both halves, a power ring main, and a couple of power spurs and he tested the whole lot.  Most of the power wiring is surface mounted in conduit.

• RMweb Gold

A lot depends on the way your supply comes into the garage Jeff (I'm sure Don will agree) and I was advised to go for a consumer unit which is exactly what I did.  The armoured cable from the house - which was provided and wired by not fully connected at the house end when the house was built - runs underground to the garage but enters through the soffit and then through the roof space to come down inside the dividing wall between the garage bit and 'the room'. The electrician then connected it, via the consumer unit, into the garage circuits which provide for lighting on both halves, a power ring main, and a couple of power spurs and he tested the whole lot.  Most of the power wiring is surface mounted in conduit.

The regulations (unless they have been revised recently) require a means of isolating the supply at the point of entry into a building. This makes clear sense if you are working on something or just changing a bulb you can switch of the supply. If the switch was in the main house some kind person could switch it back on at precisely the wrong moment. The small consumer units with two breakers are ideal even better if an RCD is included although the main rcd in the house will suffice. This enables the lights to be protected by a 6A breaker with a 16A for the sockets. A radial circuit for the sockets is fine. Be aware that for long runs to an outbulding the normal 2.5T&E may need uprating.

Incidently a ring main circuits is inherrently less safe than a radial circuit some electricians seem unaware of it and avoid radial circuits.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely space in there Jeff and no chimney to get in the way.

Plenty of space, Jonathan. Lots to store - a mini kitchen - underneath (!!), but no worries. Must have a look at your thread. Hope the married bliss continues and the chimney is still there!!

Are you ready for Le Tour? I bet it goes past your house?!

Jeff

As promised, photos of the bunker - as it was on Thursday BEFORE the first batch of boxes arrived...

attachicon.gifBunker 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBunker 2.jpg

attachicon.gifBunker 3.jpg

attachicon.gifBunker 4.jpg

Jeff

WORRYING,.................NOT A POWER POINT OR LIGHT IN SIGHT :no: :no: :no:

With all due respect, I would have thought that at least a light EDIT JUST SEEN THE BULB HOLDER, (its the eyes you know) and socket to plug in your cars battery charger would be a minimum.

I have read the advice on electrics above though and good advice it all is.

Bodge

Edited by Andrew P

Ok, I know it's NOT exciting - but it keeps Bodge amused. So here's a photo of the bunker, beautifully landscaped. OOPS, wrong script....

Here's the bunker this morning before the next batch of boxes/exercise machines etc arrives.

There WILL be a layout in there in a year or so's time - honest!

attachicon.gifDSCF0620a.jpg

Jeff

Is that the NE tunnel mouth?

hahhahhaha

Bodge

• Like 3

Cheers lads!

I was thinking (I do that every now and then....).... What else would a garage be used for other than a model railway? A games room, maybe - but FAR too good for a blasted car!

Working space after the walls are fitted should come in at around 5m x 4.7m (about 17' x 15'), so looking good!

Jeff

Looking at the room size Jeff, we need a Lucky You, tick box.

BoDgE :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hi Jeff,

Looks like I've picked the perfect time to check in here.

Glad to hear that you've successfully moved into Lune Towers. The mark 2 bunker looks like a very useable space, there's room for a 7mm roundy roundy in there. ;)

I look forward to seeing the new layout develop.

Great to see you in Jeff and Bruv, we need lots of rain for the next 3 Months so your forced indoors and working on the fell and fiddle yards.

BTW, Where abouts are you now compared to your last abode, its sounds like Steve, (I think you said that was your Brothers name) has quite a drive each day to work.?

Are you South, West or North of the last place? I know it cant be East, hahhaha.

Bodge.