Assembly time

Julia

Allan: I would appreciate you posting your settings, I'm sure they would be useful to others too - there seem to be a few machine users around, and I'm hoping to get mine at the end of April

Cheers

Phil

Okay.....

These are what I use to date,but suggest always doing a test cut first on any new card.

160gsm card...................................................Blade=3, Thickness=12, Speed=5 ......Double cut box ticked

160gsm plus 210gsm laminated together.......Blade=6, Thickness=33, Speed=3.......Double cut.

A4 label...........................................................Blade=1, Thickness=14, Speed=10.....Double cut

75gsm printer paper.......................................Blade=2, Thickness=5, Speed=10.......Single cut

210gsm card...................................................Blade=3 Thickness=30, Speed=5.......Single cut,but might need double cut,I forgot to take note.

I believe the Craft Robo uses a different blade arrangement to the Silhouette Cameo so the above might not mean anything.

Easiest way I've found of getting parts off the cutting mat is to bend the cutting mat downwards over the edge of a desk or bench and ease the parts off.

I use a Reeves pointing trowel shaped pallet knife for getting under the parts to ease them off,available from art shops and not expensive.

The cutting matt seems overly sticky initially but this wears off and gets easier with use.There might be some cursing when you first use it. :unknw_mini:

A lint roller refill under the palm of your hand and rolled over the mat occasionally pulls paper lint off the mat.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I've been playing with my Silhouette SD.

The test piece is a trainshed end wall in the scale of 1/64 (I investigating 'S' scale!), which will quite happily fit on one piece of A4 card.

I couldn't see how the Silhouette software could enable me to plot a DXF import to the right scale and so I have been printing the drawing from TurboCAD to 1/64 scale to a PDF file, converting that through Gimp into JPG format and importing that into Silhouette. Works fine and the end result is dead to scale, but it is rather long winded! :O

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I had problems trying to import an A4 size drawing into the Silhouette software as well,also had problems with the resolution when I opened it in photo editing software as well,just couldn't get it right.Ended up rescaling it in the photo software.

In the photo software I make everything at A4 size and 300 resolution then save it as a none interlaced PNG file which is a lossless format for opening in the Silhouette software.

Just as an aside,if you start having problems with cutting thicker card check the hole where the blade is for accumulated crud,mine started not quite cutting right through and that was the reason.A track pin in a pin vise and a vacuum got the crud out.

From what I can gather all replacement blades are the newer Silhouette type and not the coloured cap type.

Allan

From what I can gather all replacement blades are the newer Silhouette type and not the coloured cap type.

Allan

Thanks Allan - that's worth knowing.

So, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, at least it works.

Cheers.

Phil

Archived