Peterborough busy.

While job searching in between interviews i spent 2hrs on peterborough stn yesterday for the 1st time in many months.

I was amazed of the amount of freight that went through in that 2 hr spell.

5 freightliners/3 stone and the plasmor,with a cl67 on relief dutys.

Although i intended to try a capture a ugly betty in a cl70 alas one did,nt show but have seen that they are turning up on occasions.

Any reports of these in peterborough are most welcome.

richard.

• RMweb Premium

Saw a 70 in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago, light engine. Unfortunately I wasn't close enough to identify which one it was. It was lunchtime on the 29th of Feb, probably aroung 1:30 or so.

With clearance of the route via Ely, Peterborough and Leicester for large containers in standard wagons, a lot of the intermodal traffic between Felixstowe and the Midlands/Northwest now goes via Peterborough instead of round the North London Line. Within the next couple of years there will be even more, with completion of various schemes to increase capacity including making a triangle to avoid reversal at Ipswich.

With clearance of the route via Ely, Peterborough and Leicester for large containers in standard wagons, a lot of the intermodal traffic between Felixstowe and the Midlands/Northwest now goes via Peterborough instead of round the North London Line. Within the next couple of years there will be even more, with completion of various schemes to increase capacity including making a triangle to avoid reversal at Ipswich.

Plus with the olympics lots of freight traffic has been diverted this way to avoid stratford, in the hope to keep the lines clear for passenger trains during the expected "olympic crush"

More 70's have been visiting Peterborough in recent months on Route Learners (Nuneaton-Leicester-Peterborough) and with diversions off the GEML.

For example, last Saturday 70020 went through with a diverted 'Liner as did 70005 today......although 005 was DIT behind 66589 after it ran low on fuel.

As has already been mentioned, during July and August freight will be diverted across country away from Stratford because of the Olympics. Hence the route learners! It's certainly going to be busy during that period!

Archived