Scottish Black 5s in plain black?

Jim49

Just a thought, were any Scottish based Black 5s ever turned out in plain black livery?

I know that there were a fair number of unlined English ones running in the North West

towards the final years of steam but have never heard of any from sheds on this side

of the border.

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

45018 was a Kingmoor loco in '65. Probably got an overhaul at Crewe in '64 or more likely '65, going by the overall condition. Crewe's standard livery was 'economy' black after '63 and the 8" numbers are another give away - Cowlairs was still turning out lined locos until the end and virtually always used 10" numbers. Interestingly, according to LMS profile No 5, she was fitted with a Mk2 welded tender until withdrawal but seeing as she is attached to a riveted one here, I can only assume some jiggery pokery has taken place at 12A. The Kingmoor boys had a way of treating loco tenders like car keys at a swingers' party.

Dave.

Thanks for the input lads. I can see where you're coming from Buckdancer but I think Dave has

got it in one. Some clandestine tender swapping at Kingmoor in the dark of night has resulted

in an unofficial hybrid that never made the record cards.

Just so happens I have an old tender drive loco and an even older Hornby Dublo riveted tender

top begging to get together.

Thanks again

Jim

Archived