Twin speakers

davee

Hi all,

I've had a quick look but can't find a similar post - apologies if this has been covered.

Ref: http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/speakers/loksound-v4-twin-8-ohm-speakers.aspx

I've bought a selection of LokSound speakers, including 50327 2x16mm twin. To wire this, I'm presuming I wire in series rather than parallel. There's no internal wiring between the two speakers, but I've heard horror stories with LokSound 4 chips being blown with the wrong speaker connected, so I thought it best to ask first.

Thanks in advance...

• 2 weeks later...

Dave be careful! That is not what we have been told! Give me a shout or PM Biff!

Since this is an issue that affects other members of the forum, I would be obliged if this type of post was omitted.

To the OP, the advice given in Noiseboy's post is accurate but I am concerned that Digitrains site suggest that these 16mm speakers which are supplied in pairs, are 8 ohms each which would require wiring in parallel whereas the previous and very similar sets for the Loksound V3.5 were wired in series albeit at a much higher ohm rating. I would seek clarification from Digitrains and research the ESU website as to the ohmage of these little speakers. Wiring them up requires a very careful hand with the soldering iron and very thin copper wire.

I assume that space is very limited as there is little point in using these speakers otherwise. They are just too small to give really good bass response.

Fitting an 8 or 16ohm speaker to a 4ohm rated sound decoder will not damage the chip but will reduce volume,

Apologies dwhite! I was concerned by the speaker mentioned in Davee's description. He knows us well. We are members of same club etc. Didn't want him to fry chip. Agree that Noiseboy is correct but it was the specific speaker that Dave mentioned that worried me.

Apologies dwhite! I was concerned by the speaker mentioned in Davee's description. He knows us well. We are members of same club etc. Didn't want him to fry chip. Agree that Noiseboy is correct but it was the specific speaker that Dave mentioned that worried me.

Indeed yes and thanks for your apology. At the risk of running myself up my own flagpole, it is best on a forum as large as this one is, to post as though you knew no-one because in essence, you don't. The average reader will have not the slightest idea of your connection to another member but will recognise that he or she is excluded from a private arrangement.

We all hide behind nom de plumes and thus we should wish to remain anonymous even to our dearest friends. That is impossible on a face to face club member situation but bear in mind that the vast majority of the posters on here are not members of anything really and will seldom have the opportunity to meet any forum fellow members face to face except at the open days.

We sound buffs are a minority species even on here and all of us are a bit virgin with regard to Loksound chips so all information about them should be publicly aired.

That, I think, is what this forum is all about; sharing information, views and even opinions. At all times though this information should be couched in terms that even the newest poster will either understand or be directed to research material that will then enhance his or her knowledge.

I have to agree as I am about to wire up two speakers to my first LokSound v4 decoder (Legomanbiffo's class 73) and was wondering the same thing myself as the OP (although not with the specific speakers he was looking at).

I have many LokSound v3.5 setups with two 100 ohm speakers in parallel but this is my first with the 4/8 ohm set up.

• RMweb Premium

ESU's website has specification sheets for both the LokSound and LokSound Micro.

Both state speaker "Impedance 4-8 Ohms, 4 Ohms recommended"

A single 8 Ohm speaker can be used. If you're using two of them then you'll need to connect them in parallel so reducing the overall resistance to 4 Ohms, (rather than in series which will increaseit to 16 Ohms).

Pete/Trisonic's comment to check that they're wired so as to act in phase is valid - if one sucks air whilst the other pushes they'll cancel each other out. Make sure you wire a connection on one speaker to the same connection on the second.

16mm speakers aren't ideal but if you're fitting sound to a small loco (or an N Gauge one) then you need to consider them.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Since I have ordered 4 ohm speakers from DCC Supplies, I'll have to go the other way and wire them in series to produce an impedance of 8 ohms. It will be interesting to see ... hear ... the results!

Further to my last post, I have downloaded the English version of the LokSound v4 manual (the printed one that came with mine was all in German!). In it ESU say that the specifications allow for 4 - 16 ohms impedance and they implicitly allow for multiple speakers, something that was not overtly supported with v3.5 LokSounds.

Archived