For a 7mm Scale 08 build I'm in need of any photo's of 08855 in any of it's alter ego's as D4023, 4023 especially during it's time at Aberdeen (and especially around Aberdeen Station and Clayhills) I've done the usual Flickr / google pics searches and found a view however since the loss of Fotopic I've been unable to get a handle on searching the number of replacement photo sites that have sprung up in it's place.

As an aside has anyone any data on when it was dual air/vacuum equipped?

Many thanks,

• RMweb Premium

hello bob, i may re-post a couple of times as i go through my railway links, but to start:

the RPA directory i've found useful as it lists images by number (these may be too late for you, but i'll post the link anyway)

http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_locodir.php?menu=t&number=08855&class=08&sort=

re: dual braking, the BR database has air brakes fitted 07/1975

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=4023&loco=4023

hope these help, i'll keep raking!

No, these are great Keefer - I'd forgotten about the RPA....

855 sat outside my office for years and I doubt I've one photo of it..... (and one bit still sits about 5ft above my head as I sit) :)

Any date post-dual braking / renumbering does me for this purpose.

Thanks again.

No probs - photo's of it in it's earlier guise might help for details anyhow. I'm aiming for a condition akin to that 80s shot at the station. In it's later years it had become a bit of a christmas tree for it's successors 09103 and the like till it was eventually removed on a lowloader!

Thanks Keefer... I'll need to check my own photo's again, I'm sure I must have picked it up at some point!

Made a start on the model - I'll have enough for a wee introductory workbench by tommorrow night all going well (reading the instructions, searching for the etches, and trying to figure out what's what at the same time doesn't make for Larry Goddard style progress!

Your helps much appreciated!

Hello Bob,

I only have distant shots of 08855, and my scanner is getting a bit long in the tooth, but in case they're of interest here are three shots of 08855 at work shunting parcels at Aberdeen in August 1977. At least the location is correct and they're a little bit earlier than some of the other shots linked to earlier in the topic. Maybe you can pick something useful out of them. I wonder why the 4-wheel flat wagon was needed, I would have thought an 08 would have been heavy enough to work the track circuits reliably on its own. Maybe it had something to do with fouling bars.

Good luck with your model,

regards

Graham

22 Aug 1977 1300hrs

post-7032-0-63429500-1332068425_thumb.jpeg

18 Aug 1977 1605hrs

post-7032-0-59128800-1332068406_thumb.jpeg

22 Aug 1977 1805hrs

post-7032-0-83872200-1332067814_thumb.jpeg

I can confirm for certain that one of its duties was shunting the loaded car-carriers onto the passenger coaches to form the complete southbound motorail train for London in the period. After that move, it moved back to park in the bay almost right against the bufferstops. The driver was a lovely man, helped a motorist in trouble (me) on one ocassion. Regret dont have any photos.

• RMweb Premium

great pics vince, interestingly showing how she kept the same colour scheme - i.e. yellow rods and bufferbeams

and also how a pic showing no rods doesn't necessarily mean the end of a loco!

any ideas on the perspex sheet over the grilles in vince's 2nd pic.? a local solution for frost/snow-proofing?

• 2 weeks later...

Only just picked up on your comment Keefer sorry, I'd agree with you it looks to be just that, a local attempt to keep the cold out - and boy does it get cold overnight! How effective it would be I've no idea - not unusual for Ferryhill - the same chap who I'd imagine gave us this, was the same one that gave us the E.T.H.E.L's.....!

Archived