What is this Bulky signalling Item?

Hi all,

A friend gave this to me as a gift back in 2008 or '09 and it has been sat in my back garden ever since (stood up quite well if I'm honest!). I am having a slight clearout as I not only have a lack of indoor room for said item and other bulky things but also because money is tight and I wish to say the money used and put it in a savings account ready for the future, as I have a distinct lack of money whenever something important crops up!

I would also like to know approximately what on earth this thing is worth, I don't want to give it away and I don't want to charge to much it will be sold by the appropriate means so mods, you don't have to worry about this being a 'for sale' thread or advert because that is not the intention.

here are some pictures of it, and I do hope some of our signalmen members have an answer.

WP_000093.jpg

WP_000092.jpg

WP_000095.jpg

WP_000097.jpgWP_000099.jpg

WP_000100.jpg

and yes, I know, those are some cobwebs!!!

Many Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Ahh right I see, thanks for that!

so i take it it did a sort of compensation as regards to expansion and hrinkage of metal?

The compensator plays a key role in balancing out the forces involved in opperating a point, as well as ensuring the ammount of movement required to move a set of points does not change. Compensators would normally be sited about halfway along the rodding, the exact placement is determined by doing a few sums and getting it wrong makes life very hard for the signalman. In theory during peroids of hot weather, because of its position in the middle of the rodding run any expansion in the rodding run between the lever and the compensator will be matched by expansion between the compensator and the point.

The compensator plays a key role in balancing out the forces involved in opperating a point, as well as ensuring the ammount of movement required to move a set of points does not change. Compensators would normally be sited about halfway along the rodding, the exact placement is determined by doing a few sums and getting it wrong makes life very hard for the signalman. In theory during peroids of hot weather, because of its position in the middle of the rodding run any expansion in the rodding run between the lever and the compensator will be matched by expansion between the compensator and the point.

Right I got you.

Your local preserved railway will probably want it, but historically it is probably worth more in scrap value.

i had that feeling.

It won't be much use without the correct pattern and size of cranks - more a curio (none too common a one at that I would think) or scrap.

and I agree with the curio. its certainly different, its the only one i have ever seen up close.

some chap just bought a Signal I had to seel due to space restrictions so he might be interested in it yet, he collects transport stuff and curios, he has quite a collection! lol

anyway thanks for letting me know what it is!

It won't be much use without the correct pattern and size of cranks - more a curio (none too common a one at that I would think) or scrap.

I know for a fact we've got the correct pattern/size of cranks in stock without bases because I've shown this picture to our S&T technician!

Archived