Flying Scotsman & Northern Lights train services

Could anyone who is a student of the more modern scene please help with factual (i.e. not speculative) answers to the following questions please?

1. Which was the last steam locomotive to haul the regularly-scheduled 'Flying Scotsman' service and when, and if you can answer for both Down and Up workings that would be brilliant!

2. When was the 'Northern Lights' named service to Aberdeen introduced - by GNER I believe.

3. When was the last Up working of the 'Flying Scotsman' to depart at 10.00, and what was the departure time then changed to.

4. When was the final Up working of the 'Flying Scotsman', before its reintroduction by East Coast in 2011.

5. Finally, what were the dates on which GNER transferred the franchise to National Express, and National Express to East Coast?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello Pint of Adnams.

Sorry cant help with 1,2,3 or 4 but i can with 5..........

GNER became National Express on Sunday 9th December 2007 (a sad day)

National Express became East Coast on 15th November 2009 (happier days)

and East Coast became ?????? (Virgin, DB Shenker,First, National express) is anyones guess.

As for No 4, was the Flying Scotsman ever withdrawn in order for it to be reintroduced by East Coast????

I believe the last time the Flying Scotsman was worked by steam throughout was on 1/11/62, 60110 from KX to Newcastle and 60162 beyond. The last ever time the FS was hauled by steam was on 4/6/63 by 60054 from Grantham to Newcastle after D9018 failed.

Cheers

David

Archived