Murphy Models - not Bachmann!

Andy Y

From Dennis Lovett at Bachmann Europe

I am circulating this email to everyone as there is some confusion over Murphy Models locomotives and rolling stock being described as Bachmann by some of the press and by retailers.

Whilst Bachmann did produce some of the initial models for our good friend Paddy Murphy of Murphy Models (Class 141/171 and Mark 2 coaches) under the Bachmann brand - the latest models are not Bachmann products.

The Class 071 is being produced for Murphy Models by Kader Holdings, Murphy being an OEM (original equipment manufacturing) customer of Kader Holdings and dealing with the factory directly.

The Class 201 is neither a Kader or a Bachmann product.

Needless to say we get customer enquiries which should be directed to Murphy Models via their website at www.murphymodels.com

I hope this will clarify matters.

• 2 weeks later...

But Bachmann is owned by Kader, isn't it?

Yes; but Kader also own other brands and just because Kader have been contracted to produce an item for a third party it doesn't mean it's a Bachmann product. Hence the need for Bachmann to issue the clarification above.

Good to have this clarified as I was convinced for some time that Bachmann were commissioned to make the products for MM.

It certainly explains why Bachmann never answered the calls to extend the Mk2 Aircon coaches range to cover the BR version given the similarities to the Irish versions on sale by Murphys.

Its just a pity that MM dont seem keen to cash in. Maybe they feel its too far removed from their brand and what it stands for.

Hey ho.

Yes Kader owns Lilliput, Graham Farish, Williams as well as Bachmann UK, US & China and understandably not one of these subsidiaries can be responsible for contracts with third parties on the part of their parent.

However, while the class 071 is not being produced as a Bachmann product under the combined Bachmann/Murphy Models brand, it will probably come off the same production line as the class 141/181. So while Bachmann needs to make clear the distinction in its own interests, the distance is not so great and there is a certain level of consumer comfort in this.

Good to have this clarified as I was convinced for some time that Bachmann were commissioned to make the products for MM.

It certainly explains why Bachmann never answered the calls to extend the Mk2 Aircon coaches range to cover the BR version given the similarities to the Irish versions on sale by Murphys.

Its just a pity that MM dont seem keen to cash in. Maybe they feel its too far removed from their brand and what it stands for.

Hey ho.

In fairness to MM they are completely focussed on a niche market that no on has ever seriously attempted to serve previously.

It should be noted that when MM some years ago commissioned Bachmann UK to produce the southern class n loco in Irish liveries (given the similarity of this loco to the irish MGWR class K) and matching coaches (repainted midland),--- the Irish green version of the locomotive and coaches were marketed in the USA by Bachmann USA (not Bachmann UK) as an "Irish Trainset" (the scale was misrepresented as HO). Logically this was achieved through the parent of both companies Kader- IE "they cashed in". Incidentally E-Bay was flooded with these items for a while afterwards.

So it seems to me, if they have a mind to, it should be possible for Bachmann UK to explore avenues to produce items commissioned by MM (or others for that matter) directly with them or with their parent in other liveries or versions assuming they can get the appropriate licences from the commisioners if needed.

Logically, true. But the owner of the tooling while doubtless happy at the prospect of deriving extra income from the investment needs to think a little beyond that. It wouldn't be very welcome to be blamed for, or associated with the blame for, an inaccurate or compromised resulting product. Neither is the prospect of an overproduction leading to a large quantity of discounted stock appearing: possible lost sales as customers go for the cheaper alternative to repaint themselves. Not saying these things will happen, just that it isn't completely straightforward and risk free.

That's a query best directed to Murphy Models! There are many other very competent outfits outside the Kader group, as Hornby, Heljan and Dapol among others are also successfully getting OO product made outside Kader. Heljan's supplier is if I remember correctly 'Regal Way', and there's a 'Shine Dew' operation in Shenzen which I believe has made OO product under contract for example. Just put 'Chinese HO model railway' in a search engine, and look at the heap of outfits that this brings up...

• RMweb Gold

So who did produce the 201 then? I've had a look at some in a model shop and they're a very competent job.

MM did all the measuring/CAD design, and a Chinese manufacturer that is not Kader did the manufacturing. Paddy likes to keep his cards close to his chest. I believe the same manufacturer that produced the 201s did his Mark II aircons too.

Archived