Wills Finecast N7 kit - how good?

Downer

The only reason why I bought the Connoisseur kit all those years ago was to see if it could be converted to N7/4, but the error in length meant a rethink.

As skills have improved in this corner of the world I am now looking at the Connoisseur kit slightly askance and coming to the conclusion that they are both (the unmade ones) destined for the auction site. In the mean time the jury is out on the chassis for the two half done bodies; it would be good if I can use them to finish these two and build the two I actually want (the N7/3s will be 69720 and 69782, both of which worked the Buntingford Branch) - 69633/34 - using the chassis kits. The bodies MIGHT be Finecast, or they might be scratchbuilt - nothing new there, and the Finecast castings are available to help me along to the same extent as the Connoisseur kits and are better castings too.

I have a clutch of F4/5/6/7s to build yet, so if the RTR world wants to announce an N7 for 2016 or even 2017 I can wait. Dammit, it will probably be a Belpaire firebox version...

Best,

Marcus

As skills have improved in this corner of the world I am now looking at the Connoisseur kit slightly askance and coming to the conclusion that they are both (the unmade ones) destined for the auction site. In the mean time the jury is out on the chassis for the two half done bodies; it would be good if I can use them to finish these two and build the two I actually want (the N7/3s will be 69720 and 69782, both of which worked the Buntingford Branch) - 69633/34 - using the chassis kits. The bodies MIGHT be Finecast, or they might be scratchbuilt - nothing new there, and the Finecast castings are available to help me along to the same extent as the Connoisseur kits and are better castings too.

I have a clutch of F4/5/6/7s to build yet, so if the RTR world wants to announce an N7 for 2016 or even 2017 I can wait. Dammit, it will probably be a Belpaire firebox version...

Best,

Marcus

Marcus,

After reading this thread, I decided to measure the parts in my recently purchased Connoisseur N7/3s. True enough the footplate looks about 1mm too long, but the bunker and cub cut-out look spot on.

I'm quite cheered up!

The line to the East of the GNR is the GER, best known for vegetable traffic, thus known as The Swedey.

When the GER came under GNR ownership, its 0-6-2T suburban design was used on the KX suburban service, and became known as a Swedey Met

I thought the name was because the King's Cross and Hornsey drivers were alluding to the ownership of these inferior interlopers as being their country cousins at 34C, i.e. the Turnip Heads at Hatfield.

Archived