Wills Finecast N7 kit - how good?

Downer

• RMweb Premium

Now that the Hornby and Bachmann announcements are in, and I know that an RTR N7 is at least a year away, I'm considering a kitbuild. Am I right in thinking that the Connoisseur kit is history? If so, do the latest Wills body and chassis provide the basis for a decent model? In photos, it never looks quite right to me.

I think a decent model is possible from the current kit. It won't have the crispness of an etched metal kit. I hummed and hawed about adding to my two with the Connoisseur kit, and left it too late... The mk1 Wills kit was very basic and 'interestingly proportioned' to the extent that a Bachmann 56xx chassis is now propelling mine, and looks 'right' under the body despite being a well wrong wheelbase. The more recent kit is definitely dimensionally right, and ends up looking like a Swedey Met.

• RMweb Gold

I built the belpaire firebox one a couple of years back and was surprised just how good it was. The body parts fitted together really well. It is heavy so bear that in mind when you design a chassis. I used the SE finecast etch for the chassis, to be honest I only really used the frames and recently fitted springy beam suspension.

see my blog http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/186/entry-8388-n7-rebuild-first-attempt-with-continuous-springy-beams/

David

A GNR origin Ivatt N1 0-6-2T is a 'Metropolitan' tank, so named for its operation over the Metropolitan widened lines on the KX suburban services.

The GNR origin Gresley N2 0-6-2T is the direct developement into a larger loco, the Big Metropolitan or Big Met.

The line to the East of the GNR is the GER, best known for vegetable traffic, thus known as The Swedey.

When the GER came under GNR ownership, its 0-6-2T suburban design was used on the KX suburban service, and became known as a Swedey Met

I built the belpaire firebox one a couple of years back and was surprised just how good it was. The body parts fitted together really well. It is heavy so bear that in mind when you design a chassis. I used the SE finecast etch for the chassis, to be honest I only really used the frames and recently fitted springy beam suspension.....

Iain Rice built one for his "Whitemetal Locos" book, published by Domestic Duck. I think he chose 69689 as well, but modified the cabside windows to correspond to the N7/2 & 3 variant (the windows were much closer to the cab openings, as they were sliding windows rather than the droplight ones on the N7/GE, 4 & 5 variants).

Years and years ago, Stelfox (who remembers them?) released a kit for the N7/2 & 3 variants, and these were available from Exactoscale for a while. Did anyone manage to buy one?

The long-gone Connoisseur etched kit represents only the N7/3 round-top firebox variant - when compared with the Isinglass drawing, it comes up slightly short in length. Not sure why that is. My plan was to modify it back to the N7/4 but the discrepancy in length threw me a bit.

When the GER...0-6-2T suburban design was used on the KX suburban service, and became known as a Swedey Met

Surely a soubriquet given only to those on the GN section of the LNER, and applicable only to 2642-61 with a few extra tossed in the mix. Some of the locos allocated to the GN section, particularly those at Hatfield in the '20s were to S.O K89 and S.O. K85 and were not built to the Metropolitan loading gauge.

Here's my effort of a few years ago - apologies for the poor pics (and they were the best of the lot!).

Easy to put together, although my pick-ups are a bit ropey.

post-148-0-06845500-1332529992.jpg

post-148-0-38351000-1332529996.jpg

post-148-0-47835300-1332530000.jpg

I can't comment of the accuracy of either the basic kit or my version of it, but it looks like an N7!

If you do decide to buy the kit, may I suggest that, on delivery, you check that all the parts are present and correct? I didn't and started to construct the kit in my customary somewhat dilatory manner, beginning with the part of any locomotive construction I like least - the chassis. The result of this was that when I eventually looked at the body parts, I found that the footplate was bent, and I thought it too late to return that part, but perhpas I should have given it a try. (I bought it from West Coast Kit Centre)

I tried, but was unable to straighten it, so am now faced with the task of scratch building a new footplate; perhaps not so difficult, but even so, not something I'd put on my "to do" list. Another thing worth checking are the brake shoes on the chassis fret: mine don't fit, they're just wrong. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing your photos as you go along; perhaps I should photo mine as "work in progress", it may get to good as Jules' seen above.

Peppercorn

.....when I eventually looked at the body parts, I found that the footplate was bent.....I tried, but was unable to straighten it....

South Eastern Finecast will sell you a new one as a spare part. Get in contact with them, and they should also provide you with a full spares sheet for the kit as well.

South Eastern Finecast will sell you a new one as a spare part. Get in contact with them, and they should also provide you with a full spares sheet for the kit as well.

Oh, I was unaware of this. Thamns, Horsetan, I'll contact them straightaway.

As seen from the KX-Doncaster axis, which regards the LNER as simply the Greater Northern Railway. (Would have been a much better name...)

I agree it certainly would have been. It's another topic, but the Edwardian proposal to run the GC, GE and GN as a committee, much like the SE&CR, may well have provided a much more powerful tour de force, even following the Great War - parliament certainly thought the proposal would have been too powerful an entity which is why they quashed it. The Greater North, East and Central Railway as a certain ring.

Of course the Lpl St. - Stratford axis just carried on doing it's own indomitable thing; D'caster sez 'paint and line the engines like this', S'ford sez 'not on your nellie!' D'caster sez 'lets strip all the Westinghouse brakes out', S'ford sez 'just have a try on the Enfield and Chingford branches, sunshine'.

Anyway, back on topic, hopefully Downer now has enough info based upon David's and Jules' lovely models of the Finecast kit to make an informed decision.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure enough, got in touch with SE FInecast, and I now have a new, straight footplate. So, I can now carry on with the kit building. Thanks for the tip, Horsetan

• 1 year later...

Only just discovered this topic because of a Google search for another topic, so apologies for the rather late addition.

Hope the attached picture shows how good a model can be produced from the SE Finecast kit - it was built for me by John James of Liverpool and runs as well as it looks.

Phil

PS - Apologies for the rear wheel being on the rail head, I didn't realise at the time the picture was being taken!

post-5925-0-00977400-1383676811_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-01369300-1383676837_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I noted some months ago that Connoisseur are releasing small batches of their kits, including the N7 - I think about a dozen at a time at £60 per 'kit' (scratch aid). Also, if you miss them (the batches tend to vanish before one's eyes), email them and ask for one as I am sure there is a 'list'. Look for the 00 kits tab on their web site.

Best,

Marcus

Note that the Connoisseur kit will only be suitable for the N7/3, whereas the Wills/SEF will give you N7/1,4 & 5.

I've had the Connoisseur N7/3 from the time it was in regular production (£42 back then) and found some interesting shortfalls in length when measured against the Isinglass drawing. It may have been an etching error.

Note that the Connoisseur kit will only be suitable for the N7/3, whereas the Wills/SEF will give you N7/1,4 & 5.

I've had the Connoisseur N7/3 from the time it was in regular production (£42 back then) and found some interesting shortfalls in length when measured against the Isinglass drawing. It may have been an etching error.

Interesting. I have been looking at the Finecast one again for a couple of reasons. I have two part complete Connoisseur kits acquired semi finished to be completed - one body is ready for paint, the other almost there. The chassis x2 clearly defeated the previous owner and so I am looking at the Finecast etched chassis in comparison to scratchbuilding two (at least) - by comparison to those chassis I have scratchbuilt so far I'm not totally happy with the Connoisseur chassis. A Finecast one is to be ordered, just for a 'look see' (anyone got a picture of it 'in the flat', by any chance, please?)

I also have two unstarted kits I am planning to convert to the N7/5 (or '6' if you obsess about long travel valves) by cutting new tank/cab/bunker sides.

I am now taking the opportunity to absorb your comments and check my dimensions! I must admit I am tempted by the simplicity of the Finecast offering, as it is the N7 variant I need for 69633/34.

More 'N7' stuff later. If everything goes well and we get this all sorted out, Hornby will release one so I don't have to bother any more. It almost worked with J15s (just can't do that handrail thing...and I model in P4. No sign of a Brassmasters conversion this year, then...)

Best,

Marcus

Whilst the Finecast kit was revamped- I believe by Iain Rice -  it should be recognised that it was originally based on a Roche drawing. I agree on the comments about the Connoisseur kit, which I found a disappointment.  On balance I would opt for Finecast with the caveat,

that the location of the cab windows does limit the options that can be modelled.

.... I would opt for Finecast with the caveat that the location of the cab windows does limit the options that can be modelled.

Yes, but you can shift the cabside windows, as Iain Rice demonstrated in his book on Whitemetal Locos, to help produce either a Part 2 or Part 3 engine.

Incidentally, the N7/2 used to be available as a Stelfox kit from Exactoscale in Bernie Weller days, but like a lot of Stelfox products it wasn't much to write home about......

Archived