Highland Railway four-plank open wagon

I have acquired an ancient Micro-Rail kit of the Highland open that could be converted into a makeshift sheep wagon by adding the slatted upper half (which I do not intend to utilise) At first glance the only thing it appeared to lack was instructions, which I didnt think would be a problem as the design of the kit seemed to be fairly straightforward. However, having investigated further I am starting to wonder if I've got the etches for one kit and the castings for another.

The door hinge straps are too long for the sides and what are the straps and cleats between them on the sprues (assuming "sprues" is the right word for whitemetal castings)? And although the things fanned out on the left hand edge of the picture look very much like timber end stanchions and fit the half-etched recesses in the wagon ends perfectly, neither the long nor the short versions tally up with the height of the wagon.

The axleboxes, on the other hand, have a more than passing resemblance to the Great Westerns OK version. Having said that, the buffers have no resemblance whatsoever to anything that had either origins or connections with Swindon. I am not in a position to even guess whether they or the axleboxes have any resemblance to anything that originated on the Highland Railway as prototype pictures seem to be quite elusive.

Any information about either the kit or the prototype would be gratefully received!

post-730-0-97471900-1332618846_thumb.jpg

I knew I had one of these somewhere. Mine is in the original box, and appears to be complete.

These are my parts

post-4979-0-42339800-1332636451_thumb.jpg

And these are my instructions

post-4979-0-35282600-1332636521_thumb.jpg

I'm rather afraid you don't look to have the right castings.

A point to watch is that these wagons, in common with a number of HR wagons, used 3'6" coach size wheels, rather than the more usual 3'1 1/2".

Best of luck with the construction.

Allan F

Guest Natalie Graham

Obviously I don't know how you acquired the kit but is there a chance its original owner is still the owner of something like a GW open wagon kit with a set of castings for a HR sheep wagon? Just a thought.

The original owner died a few years ago and his wife donated all his modelling bits and pieces to the club. For a long time it all sat under one of the club layouts until we recently had a "What shall we do with all this stuff?" session and went through it all. If there was another box with a Great Western wagon etch and Highland Railway castings in it I'm certain it would have come to light then.

This wagon came to me for the simple reason that I'm the only pre-Group modeller in the club.

Mike,

You have yourself a Jones open wagon, from the old Microrail range. David Geen does indeed still sell them but they do not include the castings.

51L do the appropriate buffers and axleboxes. The stanchions can be made of brass section fairly easily.

Here is a picture of a couple of completed examples:

post-7769-0-48668800-1332794887_thumb.jpg

Watch out for how many sheep you need (both on weight if you use white metal sheep or cost whatever you use!).

Mike,

You have yourself a Jones open wagon, from the old Microrail range. David Geen does indeed still sell them but they do not include the castings.

51L do the appropriate buffers and axleboxes. The stanchions can be made of brass section fairly easily.

Here is a picture of a couple of completed examples:

post-7769-0-48668800-1332794887_thumb.jpg

Watch out for how many sheep you need (both on weight if you use white metal sheep or cost whatever you use!).

Lovely looking models.

The rails are called staves and I think they may have been a feature of a number of pregroup companies - certainly I have seen them on several LNER constitutent wagons and also on Irish railways. They fell out of use in the 1920s at some point. I would think that if your light railway had a product that could be stacked high or needed to carry something like sheep as these did, then you are well within realism to assume they used staves.

They were fitted locally to an ordinary open wagon (Mike, you realise you can legitimately do this with or without staves?) and would have been of varying amount/size etc - whatever was to hand that did the job. It is thought that the Highland ones were used seasonally and taken off when they were not needed.

Archived