YCV 'Turbot' Wagons

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

In the process of constructing a further pair of YCV 'Turbot' wagons from the Cambrian kit I am starting to think it would be nice to introduce some variety into the mix with one in a different livery. The three constructed so far have been in Dutch CE colours plus one in EWS maroon/gold. From the trawl of all the usual online suspects as far as I can ascertain they have only carried three basic liveries:

Dutch CE yellow/grey (with minor variations)

EWS maroon/gold (possibly two versions)

Rust - No telling what colour they are!!!

Now I had it in my mind that there was a Loadhaul one somewhere and maybe even a Mainline Blue one but then again I could have imagined it and got my wagons mixed up.

Anyone able to add alternative liveries to my potential to do list?

Many thanks!!

I don't recall seeing any other livery variations, and you are certainly right about rust.

On Paul Bartletts site there is a picture of Dutch livery DB978392 where the top edge (rave?) is painted red.

Also I seem to recall that some turbots used on the Mendip - Minehead sea defence traffic

had additional wooden baulks fitted inside to reduce damage suffered during unloading,

as some of them had been knocked out of gauge.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Indeed thanks for that, confirms my suspicions. I might just be a little cheeky and wave that Modellers Licence around a bit and do one of them in Mainline Freight blue anyway!!!

I have known Turbot doors get so bulged in normal Area Civil Engineers use that they had to be sent back to the shops for repair under out of gauge conditions.

The floors were a pain as well, before you could load the wagon with spoil you had to check every wagon for missing planks. Not much fun if you were doing a drain job on a frosty night, and had to climb in and out of iced up wagons while wearing steel toe cap Wellington boots.

I have known Turbot doors get so bulged in normal Area Civil Engineers use that they had to be sent back to the shops for repair under out of gauge conditions.

The floors were a pain as well, before you could load the wagon with spoil you had to check every wagon for missing planks. Not much fun if you were doing a drain job on a frosty night, and had to climb in and out of iced up wagons while wearing steel toe cap Wellington boots.

In these days of fortunes being spent by Netto Rail on anything and everything required for renewing the railway it is too easy to forget just how impoverished the government left BR in the later 1970s and early 80s. [We had a PM whom hated railways by all accounts]. So everything was done on the cheap and you suffered! A steel floor and bit more gauge on the steel plating might have helped what was quite a sensible design (although then it may have needed 4 side doors, as they would have been heavier]

Using Turbots as bridges didn't help their conformity! http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/e19e460b6

Paul Bartlett

I believe when the Turbots were first introduced there were 5 prototypes (DB978000 - DB978004) constructed

and sent out to the regions for evaluation.

My father at the time was a WR Civil Egineers wagon inspector and was one of the people asked for his views on the wagon.

He thought that although inferior than a tippler in the 'weight capacity per foot length' they were a useful wagon,

they were helping to replace a mixture of unfitted low capacity stock and ex high-fits and 16t mins, which were even less suitable for the work.

The lower sides meant that he could more easily see what was inside one when doing his yard audit, or TOPS integrity checks.

He did suggest however that the gauge of steel for the doors was too lightweight. By then, when engineers wagons were being unloaded

by machine, a machine bucket was used to help drop or push doors up beacause there were insufficient men left in the 'tip' gang

to manually put doors up. This inevitably meant more damage to doors, but as Paul Bartlett says, there was not enough money to do a better rebuild,

cheers

A Heron.....thought I had a good handle on all the wagon types but that one evaded me.Did they run out of fish names ?

Many years ago... All of the names are Animalia connected to the aquatic environment. Some are without backbones - Starfish, others are freshwater RUDD and one is fun (MERMAID). And some are very clever! The concept of "Fishkind" came half a century later. The one that seems of unknown origin is GANE, which sounds like a good fishy name, but doesn't appear to be.

Controversially Dave Larkin attempts to explain the origins in

Larkin, David (2011) Civil Engineers wagons Volume 1 British Railways: 1948- 1967. Pub by Kestrel Railway books. ISBN 978 1 905505-23-4 vi+90pp

Paul Bartlett

Photo of a Heron when newly reconstructed http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/eaf7c157

• 1 year later...

More than one, but not loads! 

That one above may still be in existence, not sure - but none are in use today as they are vac braked.

That one is 978278 and 978372 (also a Heron) was next to it. I can also vouch for 978248, so that's 3 at minimum, and I would count it as unlikely that i'd shot the only 3 in existence! :)

Archived