Turbot Ballast Wagon help

Newfish

I wonder if anyone can help me with some information and paint questions regarding the Turbot Ballast Wagons. From what I can gather 60 were brought by London Transport in 1995? Which they were then converted and fitted with air brakes, end steps and painted yellow, I know they received a few other modifications but I was wondering if anyone had an photo's of them? I know they are fairly modern well for my layout anyway but I was wondering whether any of the Turbot wagons were used before the sixty was purchased? I've got a couple of Cambrian kits to build.

Thanks.

Jaymes

Some colour shots have appeared on the covers of Underground News which show the turbots, although I can't remember when they were taken. I'm pretty sure it was during track renewal at Ravenscourt Park if that helps to date it?Sorry I can't be more specific. I'll have a look through the back issues next time I am over at my parents house.

new sides, the ends however were retained see this photo http://en.wikipedia....nAtRuislip2.jpg

should be possible to knock something up in plasticard.

J

I'm not sure whether the sides were actually new. I have a feeling that TransPlant just welded diagonal reinforcing members into the existing framework. I reckon you could do the same with the Cambrian sides and some 40 thou square microstrip.

The sides were just welded up so ballast could be loaded into them although tarpaulin was laid down first because the ballast tended to leak out....the 40though microstrip sounds like a good idea! I'll have a butchers at that photo and see if I can come up with something suitable. Thanks

James

• 4 months later...

Archived