Howes sound in a Hornby class 58

Puffing Billy

Hi All

I would like to add sound into a Hornby class 58 but have been told quite correctly that this loco has a fairly poor type of motor and pickup system which is not good for DCC reliability. I would like to still use the loco however and so my question is 'will the body fit onto a more modern chassis better suited to DCC'?

Hi Puffing Billy,

I don't know the answer to your question but I would advise you to ditch the Hornby loco altogether and get a Heljan 58. Whatever its failings (and I like mine), it is streets ahead of the old Hornby offering in every way. If cost is an issue (which it can't be all that much if you're looking at sound), you can get second-hand ones for reasonable prices.

Cheers,

Davei

• RMweb Gold

i'd agree with waverley, pick up a Heljan 58, they can be picked up fairly cheaply if you shop around, there is a video of my (now sold) howes fitted railfreight grey 58001 on my youtube channel (link below in signature)

Ditto what the others said before me!

I have a Heljan 58 with Howes' sound and it was a very easy fit, especially as the Heljan locos have separately moulded and hollow fuel tanks / undergear, which makes them ideal for housing a speaker (or two).

The running qualities are way ahead of Hornby's and the haulage ... well, lets just say the Heljan one will happily pull the Hornby one 'dead' with all wheels locked!

Just an idea: buy the Heljan one and fit sound, then remove the motor from your Hornby one and leave it as a dummy to be hauled by the Heljan one (double-heading). That's not all that silly a suggestion as even Hornby marketed twin packs with one powered and one non-powered unit.

Agree.....I have two Howes sound fitted Heljan ones and the 20 x 40 speaker and back box fits in between chassis rails below fans so no need at all for any hacking. One of the easiest fits in the business. I paid £47 for the last Heljan 58 I bought. The famous 'Mainiine' one misspelt with two 'i's not exactly difficult to put that livery error right!

Archived