class26 bo-bo drawing

boeing757

Good Morning,

I want to convert a Lima Cl33 to a passable Cl26(or rather BRCW Type 2) as running from KX on introduction. I normally don't do diesels and have no idea where a drawing may be found. Google threw up nothing useful. Anyone suggest a source?

Thanks,

B

The following things are different-

cant rail grilles,

the underframe boxes,

the bodyside windows are slightly higher on the 33,

plus other less obvious bits.

As above I would save up for a Heljan 26.

Based on amount of work to convert, then I expect you'd be prepared to consider a repaint? Some extreme cheap deals around, would still need a little bit of work doing to accurately recreate the details at the time of introduction even then.

It's up to you - am I right in assuming you have the 33 and want to use that as a project, rather than adopt an 'easier' route that may give a better result but in so doing require much greater outlay?

Hi

Quite honestly, I would look for a Lima 26, or do yourself a big favor, and save you pennies up for a Heljan model.

Gary

The following things are different-

cant rail grilles,

the underframe boxes,

the bodyside windows are slightly higher on the 33,

plus other less obvious bits.

As above I would save up for a Heljan 26.

Sorry, should have stipulated 7mm. That said, if the bodies are that different, I should forget it. However there have been articles published making just such a conversion and without them or a drawing I can't really make a judgement.

Thanks for your help,

B

Sorry, should have stipulated 7mm. That said, if the bodies are that different, I should forget it. However there have been articles published making just such a conversion and without them or a drawing I can't really make a judgement.

Thanks for your help,

B

arrrrr

I have seen a few done, at one time, when the 33 was freely available, folks were converting them to all sorts of things, and in fact i have a SM32 radio controlled diesel, that runs on Lima 33 bogies.

Anyone done a Lima 33 into a 4F yet!

Gary

Guest stuartp

It's been a long time since I read it but I think there's a drawing in here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail-Main-Diesels-Scale/dp/0711006172

Others will have to comment on the accuracy (or otherwise) of it but havng done this to a 4mm 33 before the other options were available, the work involved is along these lines(assuming you're doing a pilot scheme ER one:

Centre window reduced in size and nose doors added from styrene/filler.

26 windscreens are sharper in the corners than the 27/33, see various posts by Pennine MC and others on this subject.

The cantrail grills are the same style on the 26 but there are more of them - I did a passable representation on the 4mm one by filing the whole lot smooth, scribing new slats on then adding the frames from microstrip. Shawplan quality it aint but at least they all look the same.

Side windows - infill 2mm at the top (in 7mm) and file out 2mm at the bottom to lower them slightly (check whether I've got this the right way round first).

Bogies - remove the centre coil springs and replace with transverse leaf spring end from laminated styrene. Also the cab steps are different (I think).

Oval buffers on the pilot scheme one.

Underframe boxes - file flat and add new faces from styrene, you might want to remove them altogether in 7mm and do a Rolls Royce job on making new ones, 4mm is a little more forgiving as to what you can lose in the shadows.

Can't remember if the tail lights need moving or not - I think so.

Most of it is file/fill then bodge details from styrene. It's nowhere near the sort of work required in (for example) making a decent 40 by sawing up Bachmann and Lima ones and then sticking them all back together.

Sorry, should have stipulated 7mm.

Ah, in that case I would say go for it, the bigger scale will make things a lot easier depending how far you want to go with it, getting the front to resemble a 26 and the underframe detail wont be too difficult.

As for the bodyside windows, I never realised they were different until I saw a picture of a 26 with the engine room door off a 27 and the window was a few inches higher, and it is just a few inches.

The grilles should be able to be cut out and repositioned as well bearing in mind the 26/0 has more grilles than the 26/1, the 26/1 also has coil spring secondary suspension (same as 33) where-as the 26/0 were built with leaf spring secondary (look on photo sites for 26010 to see these).

Hi

Some years ago - in the 1980s - Bradford Barton published a series of booklets covering some of the diesel classes. That for the Class 26/27 is titled "BR CLASS 26/27 DIESELS" by Michael Oakley and the ISBN is 0 85153 418 X. You may be able to find a copy second hand.

The main thing you will find of interest is that the centre spread contains a drawing of the Class 26 and this could be easily re-scaled to 7mm.

If you cannot find a drawing, PM me and I may be able to help.

PRMRP - Prototype Replica Model Railway Products list a conversion kit on their website - have a look at:

http://www.prmrp.com/accessories.htm

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Some years ago - in the 1980s - Bradford Barton published a series of booklets covering some of the diesel classes. That for the Class 26/27 is titled "BR CLASS 26/27 DIESELS" by Michael Oakley and the ISBN is 0 85153 418 X. You may be able to find a copy second hand.

The main thing you will find of interest is that the centre spread contains a drawing of the Class 26 and this could be easily re-scaled to 7mm.

If you cannot find a drawing, PM me and I may be able to help.

PRMRP - Prototype Replica Model Railway Products list a conversion kit on their website - have a look at:

http://www.prmrp.com/accessories.htm

Regards.

Hi 66C/Bill,

Sorry for delay, quick trip to the local hospital via A & E. Back home now and picking up the threads. Have located a copy of Oakley,s book but not confident in scaling up a drawing held inside a book accurately. PM follows

B

It's been a long time since I read it but I think there's a drawing in here:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0711006172

Owning a copy of that book I can confirm that it does has a drawing in it, and the drawing does have the major dimensions on it - it could be considered to be a forrunner of the Colin J Marsden book that covers the Main-Line Diesels, which also has drawings of the 26's in it.

Archived